You can type here any text you want

Finding a blasted exhaust leak on a car running E85

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Based on my experience with leaking exhaust header gaskets, I have another that went kaput. I did all the pre-preemptive stuff like look for KR (none), listen for loose mechanicals (doesn't happen all the time) and occurs only over 10+ lb. This makes diagnosis difficult since it will not occur when idling. Since the car runs E85 trying to trace a carbon path is non existent. How have others found where their leak was coming from?

Last edited:
The way I found mine was putting a rag on one exhaust pipe and stuffing a dry vac hose to push the other pipe spray watered-down dishwashing liquid spray bottle on all the seals all the flanges and just for the hell of it i sprayed on the whole exhaust system and anywhere you think might be a leak worked good for me easiest and cheapest way out.check on crossover flanges mine was leaking therajust had to make sure whenyou tighten those bolts that you try to keep it sorta straight. and i had to take my driver side out to file it straight on the flanges cause even with gasket it leaked .

Last edited:
Another old school way is with engine idling get a section of hose and stick one end to your ear and then start puttting the other end around the various exh mating areas (header to head...turbo to header, crossover connections, etc) and youll hear the the leak clearly once your on it.

Stethoscope with vacuum hose worked for me. turned out to be rear section of passenger side header gasket blown.

Also cross over pipe loose. couldn't tell with naked ear. it was pretty loud and clear with the stethoscope.

Based on my experience with leaking exhaust header gaskets, I have another that went kaput. I did all the pre-preemptive stuff like look for KR (none), listen for loose mechanicals (doesn't happen all the time) and occurs only over 10+ lb. This makes diagnosis difficult since it will not occur when idling. Since the car runs E85 trying to trace a carbon path is non existent. How have others found where their leak was coming from?
I took a Shop Vac, and connected the hose to the muffler. Made sure it was a good seal with duct tape, and turned it on to blow air through the exhaust. Sprayed some Windex on the headers, and it bubbled everywhere there was leaks.

Back