You can type here any text you want

First drives, a couple of questions and comments.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

22lbChevelle

So, I'm back home from school and working again on the Chevelle. Got the ECM mounted, the exhaust tied up, other basic stuff that needed to be done.

I took it out for the first drive tonight, to get gas and test how it all runs. The motor runs great and shifts just as it should. First time I got on it the exhaust came undone at one of those slip and tighten connectors (im lucky it didn't hit the ground and catapult me), but anyways I got that fixed. Then just about 1/4 mile from getting home I notice the lights getting real dim (yea I test drove it at night lol) and then she died. Had to call my dad and have him bring a battery down.

Turns out the alternator isn't charging. The second I got home I put a voltage tester on the brown alternator wire and its not getting voltage.

SO, my question is, since I have 12v from the Chevelle's check engine light running to pin "C" on the C437 connector, should the brown alternator wire be getting voltage? Or should I run the alternator it's own key-on 12v wire??

P.s., for those who read the VSS thread, yea it is kicking out a malfunction code 24 for not having a VSS.

P.s.s., Yes the check engine light came on when the malfunction code was thrown, so plugging the wire into the pin "C" does at least serve that purpose.

Long, I know, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

Well I guess for now Im gunna run the alternator its own 12v source, but if anyone knows the real answer please pet me know. Thanks

That wire is for the field exciter to my knowledge. It's basically what tells the alternator how much voltage to output in a dumbed down sense. It should be wired in to the volt light in the dash. If that bulb burns out or the connection is severed then this is what happens. I believe Casper's had a field fix harness to properly provide the correct voltage/current to the exciter instead of having that bulb be the 'resistor' (for lack of a better word/thought).

Exactly... you'll need to tie that to a ignition on for now to excite the alternator. The correct way is to run it to the "GEN" or generator light in your Chevelle. (I had a 72) back when it said "Gen" lol.
Did you get all the answers you needed on the VSS? (Missed that thread)
Glad you at least got a drive!
~Scott

Hey thanks for the replys. The thing about it is I did hook up the wire through the Chevelle's Gen light. It comes on when malfunction codes are thrown so i know it isnt burned out or anything. I ran the alternator its own wire and it is charging now so maybe some day down the road Ill figure it out better. But for now, dddddddddddrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee!!!

Back