You can type here any text you want

Flywheel to convertor alignment for TTA?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jim Ayres

Is this a trial and error process for proper balance, or is there a correct method?
I have an unbalanced feel that I think may be related to the trans being rebuilt about a year ago. I just got the car about 6-7 weeks ago and was told the vibration was always there and thought it was the injectors. I have installed new 30 lb. injectors and a TT chip and don't notice much difference at all.
Can anyone give me some helpful information on this? It would be super appreciated!
Thanks, Jim :)

While there is a balancing weight on a TQ converter, the converter is aligned with its hub entering the back of the crankshaft.

Simple test, unbolt the converter.. push it into the transmission.. see if the "unbalanced"condition goes away.

More than likely if its engine related, you may want to perform leak down/compression on the engine. One cylinder is down... the motor will feel like its out of balance. Reading plugs will also tell how well things are happening in the engine.

Lastly.. its a V6.. they are from the factory not smooth. Unlike a V8. So make sure your not chasing a non-issue.

Unbalanced feel

It seems like I read somewhere to unbolt the convertor and rotate 1/3 and rebolt to check for better balance. Also I saw where there were some clip on weights for the flywheel to position by trial and error to get better balance.
Do you know anything about this?
Thanks, Jim :)

Dude.. wrong engine. You need a V12. The converter is balanced separately, flywheel is balanced separately..There is no "phasing".

Bet almost anything your vibration is something else.

How about the 89 TTa service supplement mentioning unbolting the convertor and rotationg 1/3 to check for better balance? Wouldn't that be considering phasing?
The supplement even mentions something I never heard of before and that was flywheel clip on weights to position (trial and error) for better balance.
Jim :)

And the flywheel seems to be one for an external balanced engine; is it possible that it could be bolted to the crank in the wrong position?
Jim :)

Flywheel cannont go on but one way. The bolt holes wont line up any other way.

I guess.. pull the engine and transmission out of the car. Send the converter out to have it rebalanced. Then take the reciprocating assembly and have it all balanced(crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, balancer). This way you know it is all balanced :D

Back