gear ratio on my 84 regal limited?

R

Regal on Icel

Well, as i learn more about my car, i'm having a very hard time finding information on anything non turbo buicks, such as my 84 regal limited with the 3.8 n/a motor. I was wondering if anyone knew the gear ratio that the car came with, and also, how hard is it to change your gear ratio.....do you have to change your whole rear, or do you just change some small things? I really don't know a lot about my car besides that the engine has 10k miles on it and is a jasper rebuild. The guy who had it before me was called into the service so he sold it to a local garage and took off. Thanks for the help

they came with lotz of different ratio's

on the front of the axle tube pass. side there is a code under all the greese..:)

once you get that you can call a local dealer and ask them or post it and i can try to see if its in my book.

easyiest way for you to get a gear is find a monte ss rear and bolt the whole thing in.

or if your not worried about a lil noise and dont travel outta town with it go the cheap route and pull the ring and pinion out of an s-10 pickup most of them have 342 gears but they can go all the way up to 410

you will need the carrier that the ring gear bolts too because yours will most likely have a 241 gear in it and a 3 series gear wont work on a 2 series carrier.

rear gears

i have seen them go from- 2;29/2;42/2;73 in most of the n/a 3.8 regals. the only way to know for sure. pull the cover and look at the ring gear[ big gear] there are numbers stamped on it . or count the teeth on both. divide the big number by the small number. i. e. 41 big/11 little= 4.10 or 4.11 round off to the larger number. pat

Counting teeth and reading numbers is too hard and messy. :p

REAR AXLE RATIO - To check the ratio on RWD cars, jack up one wheel, rotate it two times, and count the number of time the driveshaft turns.