GN Owner - New to the Board - Could use some advice

Antbankstwo3

Hi all! My name is Anthony! I live in Arizona. I have a 87 GN. I have owned it for a little while now. I purchased it knowing it has some mechanical issues & prepared to put some money into it. It is drive-able, runs & shifts fine. But some things I have noticed: Sticky throttle, rough idle, driver side header is cracked, needs new exhaust & cat, cruise control doesn't work, ac & heater doesn't work either. I also think the motor mounts are bad & the front pulley behind the intercooler seems to wobble slightly. It has a Spectre cone air filter, but I think its too big, so looking get the correct one or go with something different. The turbo seems to be working fine and stock boost gauge works, but the RPM gauge seems inconsistent. It doesn't have any after market gauges.

Since I have owned it - I have even thought of selling it and just getting one that I wouldn't have to do that much too. But honestly, I really wouldn't mind fixing it all and making it a heck of a runner. I just think it needs some love and I would hate to let it go. It's obvious the previous owner did not take care of it to well. The plus is the body is straight, the paint is in decent shape, and the interior is very clean.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of engine. Not very good, but I'll get better ones.

iPhone3.19 617.JPG iPhone3.19 616.JPG iPhone3.19 618.JPG

Looking at your pics
Change the intercooler hoses
They are cracked bad
Fix the header
Clean the throttle blade
And body
Fuel filter, plugs etc
Set fuel pressure to 42 vac off
Pull the intercooler and flush it
Also remove the intercooler fan and ck the crank bolt see if its loose
This should take care of your running condition

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looking at your pics
Change the intercooler hoses
They are cracked bad
Fix the header
Clean the throttle blade
And body
Fuel filter, plugs etc
Set fuel pressure to 42 vac off
Pull the intercooler and flush it
Also remove the intercooler fan and ck the crank bolt see if its loose
This should take care of your running condition

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's awseome! Thank u! I met with Nick of ArizonaGN - He looked at the car & pretty much told me the same & then some. He's AWESOME! Lives close to me too! I'm gathering up all the parts now. Maybe I can find some on the board as well...