You can type here any text you want

gnx emblem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
How do you tell if you have a real GNX emblem or a reproduction one? I just bought some that are supposed to be the real deal, but is there any way to tell?

The silver edge around the letters on a real emblem look like they have been sanded down and are flat, while the repros are high, rounded & shiny.

Also, real emblems have orange tape on the back while repros had blue tape (but this isn't as good an indicator as the above).

real on top, repro on bottom:

Attachments

• DSC06408.JPG
    DSC06408.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC06409.JPG
    DSC06409.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 282
Also, real emblems have orange tape on the back while repros had blue tape (but this isn't as good an indicator as the above).
Thats what I was thinking that all the real ones I have seen have the orange back, while the repros have blue. The ones I have are orange backed tape, but the edges dont appear to be sanded down. Is it a possibility that not all the real ones have what appear to be a sanded edge? Can I email you the pics I took of mine so you can see?

I've seen "some" of these emblems, but am not really that much of an expert on these....

Perhaps XRAY could be a better judge / give more info on this subject!

It's possible someone got a hold of the orange tape & used that on the repros though (instead of blue).

The one in the pic with the orange tape came from a GNX owner (#547!) who purchased it new from GM as a replacement, so perhaps the ones ASC actually had/used, were slightly different?

Well these were supposedly left overs directly from ASC so maybe they were different than the ones that GM sold later. I will contact Xray. Thanks

Is it Real, or Real?

My four GNX emblems purchased a while back all have the orange backing & white removable area in the right of the X, not blue tape/corner. Like my85's, mine have the high round edges instead of the sanded-smooth look, though. I guess 4 for $76 wasn't bad either way, but knowing for sure where they came from would be nice.

Push comes to shove, I could always sand mine down carefully, right? These may be "unmachined" originals that simply weren't "sanded". Who knows! Thanks for the side-by-side photos, GNC!

My orange backed emblems, and my original emblems on the car have the high edges (Not sanded smooth look).

Is it possible GNcollectables has them swapped in his post with photos?

Back