got a problem

REDS HOT AIR

Buick Tweaker
my brf trans was working fine but it was stock and i was adding alot more motor so i had my buddy put in a 10 vein pump kit along with a high rev kit and im not sure what else he did but he only messed with the pump.

well i got it running yesterday and it sucks...
all gears work fine just will not shift for crap.
i havent stayed in the throttle to see what happens but feathering the throttle it takes forever between shifts.

he is going to look at it tomarrow and i was justa wondering If you guys and Bruce :D could have a clue on what coulda happened.

sepeate question when i stall up on the car i get a clicking sound
it was there before the pump jop but wasent very loud at all now it pretty loud...sounds alot like a loose rocer arm on a motor but is definatly at the front of the trans.

my buddy hasent heard that yet

thanks ...RED

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
my brf trans was working fine but it was stock and i was adding alot more motor so i had my buddy put in a 10 vein pump kit along with a high rev kit and im not sure what else he did but he only messed with the pump.

well i got it running yesterday and it sucks...
all gears work fine just will not shift for crap.
i havent stayed in the throttle to see what happens but feathering the throttle it takes forever between shifts.

he is going to look at it tomarrow and i was justa wondering If you guys and Bruce :D could have a clue on what coulda happened.

sepeate question when i stall up on the car i get a clicking sound
it was there before the pump jop but wasent very loud at all now it pretty loud...sounds alot like a loose rocer arm on a motor but is definatly at the front of the trans.

my buddy hasent heard that yet

thanks ...RED

RUN A PRESSURE TEST! Now.

Sounds like pump is not clearenced correctly. Usually clicking is a vein ring, cracked or broken converter hub, a turbine bearing coming apart, cracked flexplate (although that shouldnt effect performance.) After pressure ck then drop pan and look for any contamination . Usually if clicking is heard and shifts suck, it is low on pressure meaning pump rotor might be undersized. And remember , we are talking in thousands of an inch. Sometimes a loose one ,and it would have to be real lose , would chatter or "harmonic " is what they refer to it as and it end will crack hub. Pull apart and inspect. Only way you are gonna know. If nothing found, cut converter and look at it . If nothing there,............ Once there was a fire.........:)

But seriously if nothing really jumps out whats wrong or hurt, get back to me and we'll look for plan "B".
Look at pressure closely. If it is irrattic, points to vein ring. If low and irractic, clearence. Too tight will make noise too as it eats the stator cover and could hurt pump body too. This is the main reason each pump should be cut with gears as a matched set. there are several very good posts on this . Do a search with my name and you will find a bunch. Good luck.

Hope this helps :)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

i'll print your reply for him ..

im going to ask mr. jack ass the gto owner if i can try out the 9 inch level 10 converter...:)

it was just too tight for his car and im not worried about having alot of stall so it may be a good conv. for me.

i hope i dont scratch that pretty pan up..u know i got the pan kit you sent to omni but them tight assese wouldnt give me the t-shirt..:confused:

thanks Bruce this guy is good but he dont wont to believe me on how picky the clearence is on these pumps..you wouldnt wanna throw some cleances at me would ya. so i'll have something to go by.

sucks i tossed the stock pump parts or id put it back stock.:confused:

Have him or you give a shout to me at work. Like I said Lots of posts on this. In one I went into very much detail. All specs were posted and reviewed. Let me know...:) Good Luck..

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

cool if we dont get smacked with the problem we would call you but it will be after hours.. we'll probly get on it about 6 est. so you may still be there .

we'll be up at omni on the lift..:)

so far we found that the converter died making the noise but not the shifting problem.

dummy forgot his pressure gauge when he left his shop so we didnt get any readings ..
we pulled the pump apart every thing looks good except for some scratches in the back wall
cleaned good and reasembled

pulled the vb and checked for any stuck valves all looked good.

put a stock n/a converter in it ugg turbo lag.

still would not shift hardly at all
well heres the kicker we pulled the pan back down and bent the filter pipe up jus enough to get the filter off the bottom of the pan and put it back together..

well it shifts now ..:)

might wanna add that to your instuction sheet.

still have a flair problem but its shifting atleast.

i have a .500 boost valve that i havent put in yet do you think that might help alil on the flair?

and we will try and get some pressure readings tomarrow.

ps. i think their waiting for some shipping slips for them other things to be sent to you.

thanks ...RED

That is interesting.... At the angle it sits at and since the filter sucks from both sides, and the allen bolts hold it off the floor., that should not have mattered. I am wondering if it "seated" as you pushed up and sealed the front. Weird man.
I know you guys are gonna yell at me , but , I came up with even a better filter now. ( Now Red...... calm down) It utilizes the same pipe but, better filter I think. I have tried it in the last two. Seemed to work well.
So....
Talking with Allison I got the impression it was under lock and key? heheheheheh How is our freind Mr Janule? Is he happy?
I really expected to hear from him as I feel I still owe him an apology for the delay. I STILL can't believe that happened. But , I feel I made it right, Thats what is important. I am sorry you had a problem (an odd one at that) but most of the time if something goes off without any hitch , you wonder what is wrong,ya know ? :) :):)
Hope you all are content and having fun!!!
say hello to all there for me..

:D
Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

hehe guess i kinda talked them outta the pan..:)

mr. janule is happy with the converter... hes gets edgy at times but once he gets what he wants hes happy and problems are forgotten.

as far as the filter we looked at it real good because we were just looking for anything and like my buddy kept telling me is that at shift is when the tranny uses the most volume compared to pressure so we started looking for restricktions and the filter is were it all starts.

inside the filter the actual metal plate that bolts to the pipe has a lip that hangs down around the edge of it and going from the heads of the bolts to the lip on that plate really gives little room for flow.

it was definatly seated i dont see how it couldnt seat..

i have no complaints about it just thought id let you know that it definatly improved the problem and that was the only change at that time.

my buddy's no going to be able to look at it again for a couple days and i dont have a pressure gauge for tranny's..actually i did at one time its probly in johns tool box...:eek:

i wish them other parts that are at the shop would fit my tranny since my d5 is crap now.

this family car converter is so tight i can take off in traffic at an idle just let off the brakes and were gone.

i put the bigger boost valve in tonight and it helped very little .

im thinking of pulling the pump out of my 85 tranny bq code and sticking it in just to see what happens..im lost

the tranny is not slipping a bit once its in gear i can give it all the hell its got and it pulls great just that it has very bad flair.

its almost like it flairs twice between 2nd and 3rd before it finally locks in.

i do have my 85 turbo trans that worked when pulled so i have parts to change out so could you give me any ideas on what to swap. just keep in mind that this tranny worked good before we did the pump and my dumb azz shoulda left it alone.

other than pump mods the tranny is stock brf (no shift kit)

thanks for your time ...RED

200 4r trannys suck !!

okey guess what changed the pump out with pump from my bq tranny...same thing

well i got pissed off at it and tried some wot gear changes figured it would sit on the rev limiter...nope

cant tell much about first to second shift on the radials since they wont quit spinning even from very high first gear roll

but the second to third shift had no flair to it ..it was a granny shift but rpms didnt jump up between gears..

took my stock pump to my buddy and he is having it machined to (his) clearence what ever that may be. but he is real good with 200's but he just dont have time this week to keep messing with mine. but he says pump will be ready saturday

does anybody have any suggestions?

i do have 2 turbo 400's that will fit in this pig...

my buddy got on it again today not sure what all he did but he got it working pretty good ...

atleast i can make the shootout with it today...guess i better take a quick nap.

good night...RED

AFTER DRIVING THAT 130 MILES TO THE TRACK ON NO SLEEP AND WAITING AN HOUR AND A HALF TO GET THRU TECH THEN CHANGE THE TIRES AND ADD RACE FUEL TO GO DOWN THE STREET AND PULL 2ND GEAR AND 3RD WHEN THE PUMP SEAL BLEW OUT....NEVER GOT A PASS
JUST A TOW ALL THE WAY BACK TO OMNI...:mad:

personally i have always thought the 200's were junk and i will always think they are junk but unless we wont to get rid of od we have no choice

i am heading to the shop now to bolt in my t-400 and might consider having my 200 gone completely thru and reinstalling later so i can have more problems.

i cannot find a post about pump clearences and i've seen post were others cant find it so i have nothing to go by but to send this stuff to cali. and pay out my virgin azz to get this thing to work.

i know the pump is not right in my tranny and my tranny buddy dont believe in high pressure

he did alotr of **** that i didnt want to do but i was trying whatever we could to run the shootout but.....

i looked at your site but some of us are normal people and cant aford to put out $1800 for a tranny and another $600 for a converter plus shipping all the way across the country...so whats a normal man to do?

do you sell a guide to building these pieces of crap?

im most likely going to go in this tranny myself im going to need a guide to go by.

i gave up on my buddy because he thinks a brf tranny is the same as any other 87 up v8 unit except v/b..

mainly just venting ...RED

"Now now, Here Red, lay down on this nice couch and......."

Now, now Red ......" Lay here on this here couch and tell me all about it....."
Let it out Red!!!! But really......??? What are your deeper, inner most feelings? (LOLOLOL) Tell ya what? Take a valium (or two) and call me in the morning...........

Don't let "IT" win Red....................

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

well i pulled the pos out but didnt have the heart to push it off the tranny jack..:)

so i cleaned the pump housing real good and put in another seal.

i've got a good question: while i was cleaning up were the seal goes (brake cleen and blow gun) i noticed that if i blew into the front by were the seal goes it would blow out the upper tranny line fitting.....is that normal...:confused:

well my buddy was right about my d5 converter its junk i put it back in hoping it wasnt but its back to clicking when i stall it up...:mad:

guess i'll be pulling it again tomarrow night..:(

Allison is already threatning me with the power bill ...:rolleyes:

also i want to know what you get to rebuild a D5 i dont want the stall changed or nothing just make it so the fins dont hit and i can boost the **** out of it out the gate.

i still have my dacco converter #7727 and in all the tranny pulls i did in the last week i stuck it in just to see how it worked with the new motor...well its not in there no more and not going back in.

so my choices are stock olds 98 converter (real tight) or the dacco that dont pull for **** unless locked

looks like it tighty going back in tomarrow
that sucks i really like my D5 converter

BTW: whats with them other converters dont look like there in a hurry to ship em back if your waiting on them i'll take em to be shipped. we'll be burried in snow before they do it.

can i send you them both for a 9-11 for my car?...:D

call me , I can work out somethin

Red..... Call me.... seriously...

Tommorrow my time...

AND.... I want to ck this cooler line to seal return hole. I dont believe this is right but I will ck with you ,on phone if you like ,what is what. I am home and dont have anything to refer to. But ... this......... I want to ck on before you do anything else.

OK?

:D
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

cool i'll do that...:)

i blew in the drain at the bottom of the seal and it was clear to the pan.

just made me scratch my head when i blew strait into were the tabs are for the converter to turn the pump that it blew out the top tranny line fitting on the side of the casing...:confused: