You can type here any text you want

got nailed by my buddys lightning 2day

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

beeturbo

all rplies greatly appreciated ..my buddy has a 95 1st generation lightning pumping 500hp on pump fuel.. we decided to run a little better than a 1/4 just to see what the gn would do.. believ it or not on take off he left me by a car length but when i left the line once thr turbo kiks in it starts spinning ..if i floor it from a stand still right when the turbo kiks in it starts breaking traction before it goes to 2nd then of course it breaks'em loose going into 2nd gear ..even tried power breaking it and launching with my boost gauge at 0 right before it begins to boost and its even worst ..it now has 235/60/R15's
im wondering would a 275/60/R15 fit on the stock wheels and clear the fender welds when turning or 255/60/R15.. just to keep traction etter .. also going to remove the stock gas shocks.and replace them with monroe load levelr shocks.. its a heavy duty gas shock with the heavy duty spring wraped a round the shock..suppose to be good for towing a boat or hauling a mild load so i believe wit those being stiffer it might plant the wheels to the ground better what do u fellas think

My $.02..

all rplies greatly appreciated ..my buddy has a 95 1st generation lightning pumping 500hp on pump fuel.. we decided to run a little better than a 1/4 just to see what the gn would do.. believ it or not on take off he left me by a car length but when i left the line once thr turbo kiks in it starts spinning ..if i floor it from a stand still right when the turbo kiks in it starts breaking traction before it goes to 2nd then of course it breaks'em loose going into 2nd gear ..even tried power breaking it and launching with my boost gauge at 0 right before it begins to boost and its even worst ..it now has 235/60/R15's
im wondering would a 275/60/R15 fit on the stock wheels and clear the fender welds when turning or 255/60/R15.. just to keep traction etter .. also going to remove the stock gas shocks.and replace them with monroe load levelr shocks.. its a heavy duty gas shock with the heavy duty spring wraped a round the shock..suppose to be good for towing a boat or hauling a mild load so i believe wit those being stiffer it might plant the wheels to the ground better what do u fellas think

1. Stock wheels are too narrow for a 275 tire. The wheel width should be close to the same width as the tire, in order to support the sidewalls.
You don't say what kind of tire you have. I'd suggest one of the M/T, "street legal" designs.
2. A stiff shock is not going to plant the tires. The combination of good suspension components, such as upper/lower control arms w/ good bushings, an air bag, or an HR bar, will go a long way toward improving the hook.
3. You have to address the ft suspension as well. It needs to be set up to allow for ft end rise, [pitch rotation]. This can be helped along by unhooking/removing the ft sway bar. If you are going to get "serious", then dble adj shocks are in order. [These shocks are in order for the rear, also.]
4. Be sure the limited slip is working.
My "order of attack":
Some wheels in the 8" range.
A pair of M/T ET Streets.[Probably 26" tall, to begin with]
Remove the ft sway bar.
Air bag in the rt rear. [Try starting at 15psi]
Try your buddy's truck again...:D
After that, choose the parts as you add power, and have the budget to proceed.

1. Stock wheels are too narrow for a 275 tire. The wheel width should be close to the same width as the tire, in order to support the sidewalls.
You don't say what kind of tire you have. I'd suggest one of the M/T, "street legal" designs.

Yep... A 255/60/15 MT drag radial is about as perfect as it gets for a stock rim/stockish car.

I use Mickey Thomson drag radials with variable rate rear springs and some monroe sensatracs and that eliminated all that wheel spin. My .02, just start with the DR's.

Back