You can type here any text you want

GTA Wheels and wheel adapters

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I'm sure this question has been beat to death and I'm sure I've seen it discussed before but my search feature isn't cooperating at the moment so, here's the question:

I have a full set of GTA rims. Fronts and rears. I know that an adapter is needed to run these properly. The ideal situation is to run the deepest lip in the rear and have it so that when the tires are mounted they will sit right at the edge. I currently run 295/0/15 on stock T rims and they just don't give me that really wide look I'd like to see. I figure the right adapter will push the wheel/tire combo out to where I'd like it. SO, what size adapter would be necessary to accomplish this. Oh yeah, and I don't want to rub up front either (probably run a 235 or 245 series up front)

ideas?

I am using a GTA rear on the front with a 1.25" adapter and a GTA front on the rear with a 1" adapter. im also using aluminum rear brake drums. Gives the car the best look to me. no rubbing yet. Im using a 245/50 in front and 255/50 in the rear. look at my sig link for some pics

1.25" adapter with the rears on the front. They rubbed with my old tires but I got 225s and they just clear now.

No adapter with the fronts on the rear but ideally I'd like them to stick out a bit more.

What's wrong with using the fronts on the fornt and the rears on the rear? Am I missing something?

What's wrong with using the fronts on the fornt and the rears on the rear? Am I missing something?

wont fit, its right up against the frame

Attachments

• wontfit3.jpg
    wontfit3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 950
The rears have more backspacing than the fronts and they require a 1.5 spacer to use them on the rear. I bought four rear GTA's for use on my Monte. I got them cheap and this way can rotate my tires properly. You could do this if you ran four fronts, but I got a great deal on the wheels that I have. Im also running Ls1 brakes up front and they push the front wheels out about 3/8" so no spacer is needed in the front.

I don't have the wheels in front of me but I recall one of the pair (front or rear-not sure) having a deeper lip thus I assume a lesser backspace? I think they are the "rears".

So if I want to run the rears in the rear (as I assume they have the lesser backspace), I can use a 1.5" adapter. If I go to a 1.75" adapter will the outcome be detrimental? I want the tires to fill the wheel well but not go past the regular flare or arch of the the wheel well. (I hope this makes sense)

Then if I wanted to use the "fronts" in the front I will not need a spacer?

I apologize if these questions sound wierd. I swear I thought I had figured this out a while ago but I put the project on the back burner and it's only recently that I've had the opportunity to revisit the issue. I'd like to order the proper adapters while it's still snowing that I can have these wheels ready for summer.. I have run adapters in the past when I put 85 corvette rims on my 85 Camaro. It was pricey but it looked awesome when I was done and I had no issues whatsoever...

Thanks for all the help so far.

Th wheels with the deeper lip are fronts. In your case where you have two fronts and two rears you could run the rears on the front (shallow lip) and the fronts in the rear (deeper lip) with appropriate spacers. This whole subject is very confusing at first but very easy to figure out.

Great! That's what I had been thinking. Now I'll remember. BTW, the 1.5" adapter is the minimum I have to use correct? If I went with 1.75" how far out will this push the wheel? (I know it'll be .25" but will it make the tire stick out of the wheel well? I want it to the edge not out of the edge.

Also, I assume the that wheels in the front will not require a spacer. Or will they?

For those that run the GTA rears in the front some use a small spacer(3/8"). Im running the LS1 front brakes and that increases my track width by 3/8. I dont need to run a spacer. I have heard that some guys dont run a spacer with stock brakes and they have no issues at all. Im also running a xh steering box(quick ratio) and I have no rubbing turning the wheel lock to lock. HTH's.

Thanks for the help. It's good info to know. WHen I get this project finished I'll post a few pics. ( one of these days ...)

confused; rear wheels getting chewed up

Hi,
I should have done my homework better.I recently obtained a full set of GTA rims,intending to install these on my '83 ttype.I didn't figure that there would be any more than a marginal problem running the rear wheels up front, so I had my new Sumitomos mounted,and proceeded with the installation. The fronts went on the rear end ok,but when I attempted to install the rears up front, watch out! I couldn't even move the car,as the tie rod ends locked it all down.I figured, no problem, just space it all out a bit, so I installed 7/32" spacers up there,and it was better, but on lock,left or right,the wheels are grinding down on the control arms now. The rim mounted wheel weights are history. Needless to say,this is not acceptable.I did not anticipate these clearance issues. Any cheap and easy ways out of this dilemma,or should I just knuckle under, and go for all 4 as front wheels, and be done with it?Thanks in advance, for your input, and sorry to be beating a dead horse, so to speak.

Im willing to bet that your car is lowered. Am I correct? If not how much do the wheels sit inside of the fender? You might try a larger spacer if at all possible. What you can do is (if you have slip on spacers) stack them and that should give roughly a 7/16" spacer which is a little over the 3/8" spacer some guys run. This should solve your rubbing problems. HTH's.

83 Monte SS:

So, if I use the GTA fronts on the rear, and use the GTA rears on the front AND upgrade to LS1 discs, I need no spacers?

This sure sounds like the way to go. Can you post any pics?

i used to run the rears on the front with a 5/16" Mr gasket spacer and the fronts on the rear with no spacer. after a few revolutions, the wheelweights clearanced themselves around the tie rods- but sticky weights inside the rim would solve this problem. it only rubbed on the inner fenderwells when the wheels were turned all the way either way.
but i got a deal on asecond complete set of rims, so i now have 4 fronts on the car with no spacers and everything fits like oem and looks perfect to me.

Gnxjames548

Never said I was a expert,However I bought one brand new with every single available option expect engine block heater & the stupid digital dash.I currently own two right know and have owned approximate 20 since 1987.The one thing I do know it the rears look dumb.
GNXJAMES548

Back