You can type here any text you want

HARD DECISION...any input would be helpful.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

phat_tony83

Hey everyone,

I'm rebuilding an 83 cutlass supreme and have 2 choices for a motor build-up. i was think of an 81 buick turbo (3.8L) or a 383 chevy stroker. i want something that will give me superior power, reliability, long life, and room for improvement. any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks alot!

Well if your choice on the turbo engine is limited to a carbed vintage, there is no real competition. The SBC will kill. Things change if you are starting with an intercooled turbo engine vs. a SBC. Then it is a harder choice.

HI
Here it's simply your choice. What kind of performance are you looking for? And how much money you want to put?
A good 383 chevy stroker is good for 400 to 550hp with good cam and aluminium heads. It's pretty heavy but the torque will be there !
With the little carbed turbo 3.8l (231ci) it's doable to do something. On the forum there's a guy (fc227) with a 80 Cutlass powered by a 1979 Turbo engine and is running 13.2s on quarter.
It surely cost money to do this and it's easier to go in the 13s with the chevy combo.

Dare to be different? 3.8 is the solution...every chevy guy will lauggh of your project :P Remember the 1987 performances of chevy vs Gn ? lol

Good chance body

Like BigBoy said,

Dare to be different? , I had allot of work in to my "79" carbed turbo to make it run low 13's high 12's. @ 22 # of boost.

It had an over sized turbo, 2.5" downpipe, MSD6BTM ignition, Moroso Vacuum pump & Distributor. , Ported heads, Comp Cam 206 cam, double roller timing chain, forged pistons, ECT, ECT.

On you can do that to the Stoker SBC. But ask your self this?

How many SBC are out there

Yes they are easier to get parts for. But the look at the Drag Strip when An owner Of a V8 get beat by a V6, You can't beat that.

I miss my carbed setup; Parts of it are over the nation. I still have the long block, Just installed it in my GN. But Part of me misses the olds.

Back