You can type here any text you want

Head stud leaking coolant?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo1962

My car was white smoking at start up and was losing coolant, put a pressure test on the radiator,and removed the valve cover, one of the head studs had coolant coming out of it. Can i just remove the stud and put some new sealer around it, and install it?

Done it on my chevy, so don't see why not. I put a few shop rags around the the stud hole after I removed, sprayed in some break clean and blew out with air hose a few times. Go easy on the the air gun pressure and try and cover as best you can with a rag... but has to be clean in order for the sealer to do it's job. Stud sealed just fine for me.

Just curious, which stud is it? Do you know what kind of headgaskets that are on it? Glad you found the leak!

I am experiencing the same problem as well. I did a leak down test and i saw coolant coming up through the head bolt between 3 and 5 cylinder. I had the rad cap off and sure enough coolant overflowed out of the rad.

The car runs fine and does not burn coolant, infact i think it only does this under higher boost conditions which leads me to believe that i lifted the heads enough to create a passageway for boost to creep into the coolant system.

The funny thing is that all the plugs looked fine and their was less than an ounce of coolant in the oil.

Any ideas? Pull the heads or just the stud?

Adrian

Of the heads that I've retorqued, I've found that the center bolts/studs needed tightening.

but is there still a chance that i have comprimised the head gaskets and that retorquing the studs will not help my issue?

Adrian

I would put new gaskets on and be satisfied that no boost is gonna lift the head or leak through the stud again. Or reseal the stud into the block and change head gaskets later if you start leaking coolant again. I just love to change head gaskets so I do it all the time. Lol, I mean I push allotta boost so I change head gaskets all the time.....

I'd change them.

Back