HELP!!! Low Oil Pressure....

mycarsucks

Rambler
Allright, I have an 85 Gn. Since I bought it, the volt light would always flicker abit until I tapped on the dash and it would stop. (this is a digital dash. Well, the oil pressure light has always come on after I've gotten it warmed up. To make sure it wasnt like the wolt light I bought a mechanical gauge.

Cold start = 50-55 psi

Let it run with me revving abit for about 7 mins = 10 psi idle

put it in gear = psi drops a little

I dont drive it too hard because it ends up around 5psi at cruise. I do get the psi up to around 20, but I dont know what rpm as I have no tack.

park after good drive = 0psi!!!!!

I can physically see the oil level dropping in the gauge tube. I do have a bit of a leak in my drivers side valvecover, but that couldnt cause this kind of problem can it? Please give me some help, i need this car in less than a week.

your right..the vcover is not the problem....how many miles are on the motor?:confused:

Well, it has 80,000 on the clock, but supposably it was rebuilt about 20,000 ago. The problem does seem to be getting worse. I used to be able to drive it for half an hour before the light would come on. Now since I changed over to the gauge, I see low pressure after a couple minutes of warm driving. The gauge is hooked up correctly, and there are no leaks. I check and double checked it.

Sounds to me like a pull-the-engine type problem. What weight oil are you using? Perhaps a heavier oil will maintain a bit more pressure.

With THAT low of an oil pressure I'm surprised you don't get any Tapping, or the Oil light (5psi or less) shineing at you constantly!!

Anyhow 99.8% chance its that the bearings are shot!! Time to pull it and do a TOTAL high quality (Read: NOT CHEAP) rebuild!!!

As far as your miles theres QUITE a few TR folks who Regularly keep thier Odometer cables un-plugged, so odds are that 80K you see is probably WAY more than that!!!! You DID do a Carfax on it at least, right?

Yeah, I did a carfax on it. When I got it the thing hadn't been driven for 3 years. It was on loan, and I think the guy needed the money for something else. I put some 20w50 in it, and overnighted a booster plate. The pressure did increase with the 20w50, now after a good warm drive im probably around 5-7 idle.

If the booster plate raises the pressure significantly should I still buy a rebuild kit, or is it a "if theres pressure youre allright" kinda deal?

Take a few minutes, drop the pan, and drop the cap, and look at the bearing (look for copper, obviously, or any BAD marks). Personally, I'd take a few hours, pull the motor, and go through it, not THAT big of a deal!!

First of all, stop driving the car. Drive + no oil pressure = you will spin a bearing or something worse.

Sounds like you need to at minimum drop the oil pan and check the bearings. You sure it was rebuilt? Sounds more like a worn out motor that needs a rebuild.

I have a legit 50k-70k (not sure) miles on my motor (I know it's legit because I just took it apart to change the head gaskets and it looks new inside) and it has like 45 psi at a cold idle if I'm remembring correctly, about the same oil pressure as my '00 model TA has.