You can type here any text you want

Help with Head Gasket Damage...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
So I blew a head gasket last fall, and just now have gotten around to the repair. The HG blew less than a mile from home, and it has been sitting in the garage ever since. Unfortunately, I was new to the GN scene when it blew, and I was running with antifreeze. I took an oil sample a couple of weeks ago and sent it off to be analyzed. The results came back today and mentioned I have higher levels of copper/lead/iron than average, which are likely coming from the bearings. Curiously though, there was no antifreeze detected in the oil. I thought that was what causes the bearings to fry:confused:

My questions are what bearings are going to be in need of replacement, and how big of a job is this, compared to the head gasket repair? What kind of carnage would ensue if I were to put the car back together and wait to see how the oil analyzes after another 500-1000 miles, in the case that during my wrenching on the top end, some of this debris had fallen into the oil before I had drained it to collect my sample?

Thanks!

Given you likely drained cold oil, that had set in the pan for many months, you could have sent in a "concentrated" sample of crud.
Oil samples should be taken while oil is warm.
Id' cut the filter open and take a look there.
A/f can/will fry the brgs. But, if there's none shown in the sample, I'd be more inclined to think it's wear on a hi mile engine. [Ever been rebuilt? Mileage is?]
In any case, to do an overhaul and do it right, the engine needs to come out.
I'd do the "fix the gasket, and retest later", after some miles are run.
As for the components, the iron could be the cam going south.

Given it's

This is an all stock, untouched 33k mile engine.

as described, I'd do the fix the gasket, drive it, retest a sample, or 2..
The multiple samples will give you an idea as to how the wear is progressing, or if it's stabilized.

I used the sample process on mining equipment, and found that comparison of samples was a good idea. I also used the info to set up a maintenence schedule.[Not only on engine, but all other oil lubed components.]
I also got good input on air cleaner life...
IMO, is a well spent 20-30$ !:cool:

Back