You can type here any text you want

Hey Razor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fly89gta

I noticed you posted in a thread about a 4L80E swap.

I know it's been done, I've read SOME info on it but can you shed any light on the subject?

Sorry brother, too rich for my blood. The 2004r is a nice tranny when you have someone COMPETENT build it. I mean it really holds up. But if you draw the short straw... it can be the biggest nightmare in the friggren world.

I bet what happens is you have the wrong guy get his hands on your tranny.. next thing you know it flares, shifts wrong, etc... it can drive a person crazy.

You want the instant gratification.. a perfect transmission... lets do a T350/T400.. 4le80.. AOD.. anything but a 2004r.. :)

Those T350 and T400 can be an issue to your motor. More than once i've heard the tranny pushing the converter forward and taking out the thrust bearing.. Especially guys that run trans-brakes.

So one sometimes has to be careful what one wishes for.

Originally posted by Razor
Those T350 and T400 can be an issue to your motor. More than once i've heard the tranny pushing the converter forward and taking out the thrust bearing.. Especially guys that run trans-brakes.

Of course, quite a number of people have done this on TH2004R's too, so as you pointed out, use a reputable, quality builder from the beginning!

FWIW, before the GNTTYPE list stopped there was a deep physics discussion about why this may have been happening, because it was not always the converter ballooning.

Actually its not the converter ballooning.. the converter getting pushed forward. I believe the mod is to restrict pressure to the converter. I know my buddy's Roy and Laz were chasing this issue last year.. cant tell you how many thrusts they killed.. they kept checking.. triple checking.. bad pump on tranny was the end result.

Guess we run way tighter clearances.. the converter gets pushed forward a little... out with the thrust.. Doesnt take much at all if ya think about it.

The other techincal discussion was block flexing..... (side to side)

Back