Holley Carb for 83 t-type?

buick83-T

83' T-type
Have a question about holley carbs. Will the new street avenger series 670 carb work with the 83 T-type? It does not have the hookups for the tps and the mixture control.Can these be done without? Anyone know of a replacement holley that would work good on the 83 being that it is computer controlled?

THANKS in advance

In "Holley Carburetors" by Dave Emanuel he recomends
useing a Holley 4175-type carb. w/externally referencing the power valve. The power valve must sense "true" vacuum conditions in the intake system through an external line which runs from the carb. power valve chamber directly to the intake manifold. If this is not preformed 30-40% of the overall fuel delivery can be cut off.
This set up however will NOT work with any elect. controls.
I don't know of any Holley's that will:(
I believe a new 4175 is around $300.
I like double pumpers best :D but I've been looking at various variable venturi style carbs some. There might be some salvation here.:confused: :confused:

The 4175 I spoke of is a vac. secondary model. The 4165 is a mech. sec. model & intended for stouter performance than the 4175. The 4165 has changeable secodary jets & the 4175 does not. We might be able to run the 4165 w/some success but the tps & etc. still wont work. I want a Holley on my T-type eventually also. It all takes time;)

Hello;

I have a holley 650 , vac. secoundarys. It took me alot of work to block off the under the carb Power Valve and connect it to a exteral port to run to the intake (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ON A DRAW THOUGH SETUPS ).
You also have to install a check valve so no Boost pressure get's to the power valve , it will pop it has sure as there is a god.

Another problem is hood clearance , there is not alot and if you use the stock carb. hat you need a 1" spacer under it because the holley choke horn blocks off a good portion of the hat.

I used the red accelerator pump cam, it gave me the best throttle response. 67 jets in the front & 74 in the rear.

The primary power valve vents have been enlarged in my setup. (give more fuel under load).

8.5 " power valve, worked best for me.

I had to have a apator plate milled down to 5/8 " thick , and I had to notch the hood brace for the carb hat to clear.

hope this helps

Thanks

Thanks for the help Rich and fc227:) . One more question can I convert to non CCC to run the holley or should I be able to just take off carbs tps, mixture control? One reason i want to do this going to a holley is my stock carbs shaft or housing on the front barrels is worn causing big vacum loss. And the carb needs rebuilding. Cost more to have it rebuilt and is cheaper to buy a performance holley.

Originally posted by fc227
Hello;

I have a holley 650 , vac. secoundarys. It took me alot of work to block off the under the carb Power Valve and connect it to a exteral port to run to the intake (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ON A DRAW THOUGH SETUPS ).
You also have to install a check valve so no Boost pressure get's to the power valve , it will pop it has sure as there is a god.

Another problem is hood clearance , there is not alot and if you use the stock carb. hat you need a 1" spacer under it because the holley choke horn blocks off a good portion of the hat.

I used the red accelerator pump cam, it gave me the best throttle response. 67 jets in the front & 74 in the rear.

The primary power valve vents have been enlarged in my setup. (give more fuel under load).

8.5 " power valve, worked best for me.

I had to have a apator plate milled down to 5/8 " thick , and I had to notch the hood brace for the carb hat to clear.

hope this helps

Thank FRED!:)
That's layin' her out.
I've been curious about your carb. combo for a while now.
BTW, which Holley 650 you running?
I was thinking the 4165/75 spreadbores would be the easiest to install
but IMO they don't have the same performance capabilities as a good 'ole double pumper.

Hi;

It's a 4777-2 I converted over to a vacuum secondary. I had to drill holes for the vacuum break .Hole(s) for the power valve. ect...

I agree a Double pumper is great , but IMO only on a lighter cars with alot of engine that doesn't have to wait for a turbo spool.
IMO a vacuum secondary carb is a better choice for a street/strip machine like our's.

But everyone intilted to there opinons :)

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by fc227
Hi;

It's a 4777-2 I converted over to a vacuum secondary. I had to drill holes for the vacuum break .Hole(s) for the power valve. ect...

I agree a Double pumper is great , but IMO only on a lighter cars with alot of engine that doesn't have to wait for a turbo spool.
IMO a vacuum secondary carb is a better choice for a street/strip machine like our's.

But everyone intilted to there opinons :)

Just my thoughts.

I agree w/ya Fred. My last double pump was vac. sec. & on a 350.
It was a very impressive improvement over the 4160 that it had on it! But that's s.b. mentallity & this is a whole nuther monster, like you said with having to wait for spool & all. "Dump" to soon & she'd surely fall flat on her face & "dump" to late & you could get lean.

I was reading that you could just block of the secondary power valve & compensate by enlarging the secondary main metering jets. Although I imagine external referencing would be the better way to go. Then agian, I'm not sure I would be super comfortable drilling into my carb's metering block & pressing in a tube. Plus the vac. hole would have to be "plugged" advisibley with a piece of lead shot. That's a lot of damn work, lol.
Judging by your times it looks as if it all paid off though;)