Home Theatre.... HELP!!!!

D

dconnor

Working on hooking up the home theatre system in my office / play room (Aiwa AV-D50, saving the "good" stuff for the den / living room) ;) & could use some help with how the cables for the DVD player should be connected....

The A/V receiver's instructions say I should hook the DVD's OUT to the A/V's IN & then run the OUT leads from the A/V to the IN on the DVD. Makes perfect sense but the problem is the DVD player I'm using in here (Panasonic DVD-CV47) doesn't have any IN leads!!!

Should I just run the OUT leads from the A/V receiver to the IN for TV?

If I hook up an S-video cable from the DVD to the TV do I still need to run RCA's from the A/V reciever to the TV to make sure I have an audio signal from the DVD through the A/V to the TV?

Also, I have a digital cable box and VCR as well... but can only hook one of them into the A/V reciever, can I run the VCR directly to the TV & stilll have it record OK? If the VCR is going to be a hassle I'll just hook it up in one of the bedrooms, but my wife wants to be able to tape shows that we can only get through the cable box. :(

Doug C.

Kind of depends on how serious your system is, might not make any noticeable difference which way you wire it. It's nice to use all options, but also to simplify things.
Do you have an on-screen display from the receiver? If not, I'd go S video straight to the TV. I'd think that the more direct path is always better.
If no onscreen display from the receiver:
Personally, my setup isn't exactly high end, so I keep it simple.
DVD to TV: S video and RCA audio cables
From TV to Receiver: audio RCA's

That's the simple way to have anything you watch on TV able to come through the stereo. The only thing you might consider would be audio from DVD to receiver, if you always use it for movies (not listening through the TV).
VCR: cable. Picture/sound isn't that great to worry about using the RCA's, IMHO, but if you have another set of inputs on the TV, go for it.
Lets me use my TV for volume, which is good since my Denon doesn't have a remote. :D

I'm sure the more educated audiophiles here will chime in.

How many inputs/ what type do you have on your reciever and your TV?

You need to go from to Sat Box to VCR to Reciever to TV and also from DVD to Reciever to TV.

You have alot of options as to how you do that depending on how many inputs you have.

Edit: Forgot about bypassing the reciever all together and just running it from the TV Audio Out. Works just fine and is simpler to operate, also alows just the TV Speakers to work without the reciever being on.

Hey dconnor, call our shop and I will put you in touch with one of our guys that has a side business that does high line a/v systems. He is a wizard. Thanks, Mark :D

Well I THINK I have everything wired up so that it'll work OK, now I need to run the speaker wires to test it out.

The A/V reciever has 2 video "channels" with 3 way RCA connections (L/R audio & video) IN & OUT, inputs for Dolby 5.1 audio, seperate RCA IN for a cd player and auxillary & IN & OUT for a turntable and finally monitor/video in.

TV has 2 video channels with L/R & video feed, one RCA out to external amp/receiver & one S-video plug.

DVD has 1 set L/R & video OUT, a component video OUT & an S-video plug.

VCR has one IN and one OUT set of L/R & video and the standard cable IN & OUT connection.

Cable box has L/R audio IN, L/R & video OUT, an SPDIF RCA audio OUT for Dolby and optical OUT for Dolby to A/V receiver.

Here is how I've got it hooked up so far:

DVD OUT to A/V video 1 IN & A/V video 1 OUT to TV video 1.

VCR OUT to A/V video 2 IN & A/V video 2 OUT to TV video 2

TV amp OUT to A/V aux input, which is what the owner's manual I hunted down instructs to do.

Cable box to VCR IN & VCR OUT to TV

Make sense? Hopefully this will work!!!!

Doug C.

OOPS: forgot that the cable box also has an S-video plug.

That will work fine. I would have done it like this. Since you can't have dolby digital.

1. All DVD to TV
2. Just leave the VCR connected with the cable wire, the RCA's aren't really going to make a difference. BOX>VCR>TV just like you have it.
3. TV out to Receiver in and anytime you want the stereo on all you have to do is put the receiver on one channel no matter what source you are watching TV,VCR,DVD.

I think that saves you 2 or 3 sets of RCA's.