You can type here any text you want

How do I drain the fuel tank?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSP

My car has sat for about a year. The gas doesn't smell bad but I'm sure it's not great. Whats the best way to go about draining the system?

Either siphon it or disconnect schrader valve at regulator and turn the key on until no more fuel comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid I'll leave too much in the tank if I siphon it. But maybe not. To do it at the fuel rail I assume I will need to attach some kind of hose?

For what it’s worth. I’ve let mine sit for a year and a half before. Give it an Italian tune up on the highway and call it a day. Marvel mystery oil in the tank and good to go. Change filter and be good. But if you want to drain the tank then so be it. Won’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turning the key on won't drain the tank from the fuel rail. KOEO only runs the pump for 2 seconds.

You can siphon what you can, and pump the rest from the fuel rail. All you need is a fuel pressure test kit with a detachable hose and a jumper wire to run from the ALT post to the FP test lead.

Drop The Tank!!!!!!
And check out all connections and hoses.. You'd be surprised what you may find...
Mike

Get your self a cheap 12 volt external fuel pump from Amazon and some some hose length and drain it that way. I fill a 5gallon container to go back in my GN and the rest goes in my daily driver. Takes 10 minutes to drain a full tank then you a free to drop the tank with ease. Plus you have a pump set up going forward... should not cost more than $20 for the pump and hose.

Easiest way is to take out the sharper valve on the fuel rail, attach a hose, ( I just used clear tubing that fit tightly over the fuel rail end) and like Earl said run a jumper wire from the back of the alternator to the FP test lead which runs the pump and you’ll be empty in 10 minutes.

If you don’t know where the test lead is it should be hanging out of the conduit attached to the DS valve cover. It’s gray.

If you are just looking to run out the old gas for fill up of fresh gas just go for a long ride! Like RED said keep out of it and enjoy your car.

Back