You can type here any text you want

How hot is too hot? (aka do i have a problem?)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grim0013

Well, now that the weather is getting warm again, I think I need to ask this question: At what point should I worry about engine temps? On the highway, I'm always below 180, and usually closer to 160, but in city traffic I've been concerned a few times. The worst I ever had was about 230* on a 95+* day stuck in DC traffic. As soon as I saw it I shut her down and pulled over for a while. Once I got on the highway, I was running around 175* and when I checked the coolant later it was almost full still.

More commonly, there have been a number of times on warm days when I look over and see something in the 200-210 area, at which point I get nervous, but if I am able to get moving, it drops down pretty quick. Every time I check coolant levels, they're fine. I don't think I've ever needed to put more than maybe a quart in, and that was after an extended period of not having been checked.

As to the cooling system, there is a single electric fan attached to the radiator, which is an aluminum F-body radiator. Or at least the piece of paper I got from the previous owner said that's what was in there... It's only been around 1000 miles since being flushed, but time-wise, it's been a while, so maybe I should do that. Does that water wetter stuff actually work?

Anyway, I would appreciate anything anyone would be able to tell me about this, like, should I be more concerned, or...?

Thanks,
Brad

Forgot to mention, I have never seen any steam or any of the other obvious signs of overheating, and even when the temp gauge said 230, she was running perfectly smooth.

Thanks,
Brad

I'd be concerned with 230!! 200-210 is not going to hurt anything (flame suit on). water wetter does work...........try not to get stuck in
DC traffic on 95 degree day....might want to have an 'expert' look over cooling system for peace of mind......

do you have a front mount intercooler on it? mine would get 200 -210 went to a dual fan and no more issues

As long as it drops when driving 210 isn't too bad. If you live where it doesn't freeze, ditch the antifreeze/coolant and get some RMI-25.

Start saving your $'s for a bigger radiator & maybe a dual fan set up. Those F-Body rads look to small, especially if you have an FMIC.

Have you already installed a 160 degree thermostat?

~JM~

Get duals fans. Ramchargers style, or Dodge Intrepid (or many others like Taurus, etc) are much more efficient and move a ton of air. I have used Intrepid fans and a very restrictive front mount and have no isses. I also have an ALRADCO radiator which helps too, but the fans should help you. I have no worries at all on the highway, in traffic, etc in SoCal heat. I also have my oil running through the rad, and am getting ready to run the trans fluid through its cooler in the rad and see how she holds up. ;)

JM is right if you can save a few bucks up. ALRADCO is coming up with his aluminum rad with dual fans in a package. Can't wait to see it, I will probably ditch my Intrepid fans!

Thanks for the info guys. I'll just keep an eye on it, maybe do a flush and add some water wetter or something, then look into upgrading the fans down the road if it continues.

if it aint boiling out the overflow, it isn't a problem unless you get on it and try to build boost when it's that hot and get detonation.

JM is right if you can save a few bucks up. ALRADCO is coming up with his aluminum rad with dual fans in a package. Can't wait to see it, I will probably ditch my Intrepid fans!
A lotta months have passed. What's your source on this?

As long as it drops when driving 210 isn't too bad. If you live where it doesn't freeze, ditch the antifreeze/coolant and get some RMI-25.

Does RMI-25 raise the boiling point? and if so, how much?

I'm pretty sure it does, not sure how much. I want to say Nick Micale had posted some info about it since he sells the stuff. I've used it for a few years with good results. 4 cored stock rad and fan and the car stays cool unless I'm pushing it or it is in the high 90s out.

Back