You can type here any text you want

How short is too short for a rear tire?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
I'm getting more into the handling side of things and plan on getting some 17's x 9". Based on reviews I am highly interested in NT05R tires to wrap them. I was going to go with 255/40/17 and 275/40/17. I noticed that the rear tire would only be 25.79" tall though. As someone used to 28" on the back I'm not sure it would look right. What do you guys think?

I'm getting more into the handling side of things and plan on getting some 17's x 9". Based on reviews I am highly interested in NT05R tires to wrap them. I was going to go with 255/40/17 and 275/40/17. I noticed that the rear tire would only be 25.79" tall though. As someone used to 28" on the back I'm not sure it would look right. What do you guys think?
I personally don't like the "Hiked" look in the rear and once Richard Winchester and I come to a tire size we agree on I will be switching my tire sizes.... Since I have been around all these guys auto crossing and seen first hand what tires and sizes are getting the job done on these 3500 + lb cars I would keep them as close as you can.I know when your reading these below links your going to be telling yourself "Hell I'm not going to be doing anything near this stuff" well keep in mind that if you buy a tire that these guys can run on you will definitely have a tire that will not fail you under those conditions if they happen to arise.

Here is some reading for you....

1) Richard Winchester has been a good friend of mine for the last 4 years- http://bangshift.com/blog/pro-touring-tech-high-performance-tires-101-with-the-experts-at-bfg.html

2) Here this guy tests the NTO5R tires, Lengthy read but well worth it.. http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?p=952339#post952339

Can you explain the hiked look? And what tires and size you thinking about? And how about a summary of the long read ;):D. You linked page 15 and I saw no mention of the tires when I skimmed through.

Can you explain the hiked look? And what tires and size you thinking about? And how about a summary of the long read ;):D. You linked page 15 and I saw no mention of the tires when I skimmed through.
The "Hiked" look comes from these tire measurements.

Front tire size of 255/35-18 = a 25.03" tall tire VS My rear tire size of 285/40-18 = a 26.98" tall tire and the difference is 1.95" taller in the rear. I seen quite a few g-bodies out there on the auto-x that have a very close front to rear ratio and they work fantastic!

I messed up that second link but if you read far enough he talks about boiling his new NT05R tires and said he didn't like them at all...Those guys are hardcore and test all kinds of stuff and do great detailed threads, If you read far enough on his build thread where he went to OUSCI he talks about having the NT05R tires on his car.. That is what I meant to post...

When I get my other computer back from being repaired I have all that detailed info saved and I will post it up here, should be only a few days..

Here is what I mean by the "Hiked" look... I would like it to sit more level.
1105gmhtp-02-+1986-buick-t-type+side.jpg

There are 2 NT05's, one is a "street" tire NT05 and NT05R is the drag radial version.

I run NT01 on my T 275 40 17 and it handles well and is sticky enough to have fun at the track 1.80 60 fts, although I have slicks if I want to launch harder.

this is with a 275-40-17

I saw your pictures and I don't care for the big gap between the tire and fender. Sorry :(. That's why I started to question the tire height. Then again my car sits lower so maybe I would like the tire size on my car.

There are 2 NT05's, one is a "street" tire NT05 and NT05R is the drag radial version.

I run NT01 on my T 275 40 17 and it handles well and is sticky enough to have fun at the track 1.80 60 fts, although I have slicks if I want to launch harder.

Nice...do you have pictures of the rear without the smoke? What are your thoughts on the NT05R? It sounds like their sidewall is softer which will help launches, but hurt autocross...then again this will be my first time trying autocross so I don't need the best of anything anyway...just looking to have some fun.

Edit: Bah...I went through the tires/wheels thread and it looked like you posted a couple, but they gone now.

The "Hiked" look comes from these tire measurements.

Front tire size of 255/35-18 = a 25.03" tall tire VS My rear tire size of 285/40-18 = a 26.98" tall tire and the difference is 1.95" taller in the rear. I seen quite a few g-bodies out there on the auto-x that have a very close front to rear ratio and they work fantastic!

I messed up that second link but if you read far enough he talks about boiling his new NT05R tires and said he didn't like them at all...Those guys are hardcore and test all kinds of stuff and do great detailed threads, If you read far enough on his build thread where he went to OUSCI he talks about having the NT05R tires on his car.. That is what I meant to post...

When I get my other computer back from being repaired I have all that detailed info saved and I will post it up here, should be only a few days..

Here is what I mean by the "Hiked" look... I would like it to sit more level.
View attachment 186918

Do you recommend a tire? I'm looking for 10k miles or so..or better, mainly street, some track, some autocross. I always called that look "raked". Awesome picture BTW.

Do you recommend a tire? I'm looking for 10k miles or so..or better, mainly street, some track, some autocross. I always called that look "raked". Awesome picture BTW.
Yeah, hiked racked all the same... lol

I am thinking about the new "Rival" tire from BFG as many of them switched over to that tire and really like them so for... There is also the Falken Azenis, TOYO proxes R888, Kumho Ecsta XS, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2, Dunlop Direzza Z11,

Back