You can type here any text you want

How strong is the stock driveline? sticky Tires?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
I haven't been to the strip in a year, and since then I've switched to MT Drag radials over Nittos. The Nittos did ok, better than the Goodyear GSC did, but the most I could get was 1.90 60ft. My question is, are the MT drag radials going to hook "too good" Is breaking the rearend or snapping a driveshaft likley? Also, how much of a burn out is neccessary to get these tires sticky. I don't want to abuse the hell out of the car in the water box, Id rather just spin them over and clean em off and avoid the water.
Any info? thanks

What will happen over time is you'll kill the ring and pinion and posi unit. This is from running around on drag radials.. it is what it is. You'll never break the driveshft, break an axle, etc.. It will start to howl out of the rear end from tweaking the ring/pinion.. next the posi will go out.

The parts are very very hard to find. If you plan on keeping the car, do yourself a favor and buy a 9 inch or 12 bolt.. put the factory 9 bolt aside.. and you can always swap back the OEM rear back in. If your gonna play.. your gonna pay.

Hey Bo.. I still have that disc brake Currie 9 inch and 4 inch Denny's driveshaft for sale.. its gonna be a fire sale soon on it :D

What will happen over time is you'll kill the ring and pinion and posi unit. This is from running around on drag radials.. it is what it is. You'll never break the driveshft, break an axle, etc.. It will start to howl out of the rear end from tweaking the ring/pinion.. next the posi will go out.

The parts are very very hard to find. If you plan on keeping the car, do yourself a favor and buy a 9 inch or 12 bolt.. put the factory 9 bolt aside.. and you can always swap back the OEM rear back in. If your gonna play.. your gonna pay.
That's some good info, I didn't know these rear end parts were hard to find.
So what's involved in swapping out to a 9 in or 12 bolt? Any forums or anything? I saw somoone on these forums a few month ago with a different rear that I guess had been set-up for a TTA that was for sale...maybe that Grumpy dude? Damn, I should have got it. Thanks for the info. I also didn't know that driving around on D Radials shortened the life of the rear.:eek: I only drive it maybe 200 miles a year. To the Buick show, and to the drag strip once every other Fall or so.

TTA 9 bolt 3.27 rear ends are the same as the GTA and the G92 optioned Z28's from I believe 88 to 90.
I've bought several here and there and since the GTA's and Z28's weren't too powerful they are generally still in good condition.
YMMV

TTA 9 bolt 3.27 rear ends are the same as the GTA and the G92 optioned Z28's from I believe 88 to 90.
I've bought several here and there and since the GTA's and Z28's weren't too powerful they are generally still in good condition.
YMMV

Try and find a low mile rear end not all rusty... thats been maintained.. Then you'll see the majority are 2.77 gear ratio.. the 3.27 is a rarity.. while the same, the cars getting parted out all have over 100K miles. Trust me.. it took me a year to find a nice 3.27 9 bolt.

Ebay use to be full of them.. no more.

stockers are getting harder to get like Julio said .. 9" and 12 bolts are bolt ins from the popular rear end and chassis company's .. we kept on blowing out the spyder gears in the wifes new TTA back in the "day" :eek:

Same here. I could not find any decent used 3.27's. I got lucky and found a brand new NOS 3.27 ring and pinion bolted to a brand new carrier.... I got stuck paying $650 for it.

9 bolt

Hi,
My car is pretty much stock, and has 104K mostly highway miles.I was under the impression that the Borg Warner axle in our cars was pretty good for stock stompin'.Most stock configurations don't place a lot of stess on rear axles;they seem to last a long time. Opinions, gentlemen?

It is stronger than the factory 10 bolt found on other 3rd gens. But its not an 8.5 like on the GN's.

Only thing to make it live are lots of fluid changes and not hammering on it all the time. But you will tweak the gears by doing burnouts and hard launches. You can tell it on a raced TTA as it will "howl" at 50 MPH. That is if the exhuast is quiet.

Back