Hybrid cookbook?

Bertram65

Is there a FAQ or list of what is needed and what works to perform a swap? I could buy a complete car and strip out the drivetrain but if there is another way that is also cost effective I would be interested in that. I am looking at putting a GN motor mildly wamed over into a late '60s GS. I can search the forums but if it is already documented that would be easier.

Bertram65 said:
Is there a FAQ or list of what is needed and what works to perform a swap? I could buy a complete car and strip out the drivetrain but if there is another way that is also cost effective I would be interested in that. I am looking at putting a GN motor mildly wamed over into a late '60s GS. I can search the forums but if it is already documented that would be easier.

bump

Do plenty of reading and alot of searching. That is how most of us whom have done this have started.
Suggestion one; Get wiring diagrams for both the GN and for the car you plan to swap all into.
Suggestion two; find a donor but remember these things are shooting up in value so keep in mind you may want something that is beyond saving as it is only the mechanical and electrical you will be using.
If wiring intimidates you contact Caspers and he will build you a harness to interface with your car and it will almost be just plug and play.

You will need an electric fuel pump.
I actually used my Cutlass harness and added power to the fuse block for the injectors and pump. Later I pulled the dash and went through every wire and put in a GN dash harness just because I wanted to make sure everything was correct.

Your earlier cars don't have a computer or all the extra crap that my Cutlass did so interfacing the new into the old shouldnt be too dificult. All other electrical systems should be fine without modification.
The rest of the work (rear end , etc) is basic hot rodding, what fits and what parts are accessible to you.

There is a guy on here who used to go by Bandit who sells CD roms of the factory manuals for these cars. Best $$ I spent on this project.
Also do a search for turbomonte and wagon or gnwagn, and s10gn ( I am listing these names from memory so sorry if they are wrong). They all have websites dedicated to their buildups. Oh and GNX7 did one in a RX7.

Post any other questions you have.

65malibuss said:
I have a lot of details on what was required for my swap on my web page.
Click "Detailed Information" at the top.

http://home.earthlink.net/~65malibuss

Awesome car dude, love the Impala SS
Just asking Definitely not Bashing as I would put the Buick engine into just about anything but a clean OE ‘95/’96 Impala SS
Did the OE engine die then you did the swap?
Why not strap a turbo on the OE v8?
I saw one at raceway park with an unopened v8 and a turbo the car was running 11ns and at the end off the day he retuned and made one pass into the 10.50s and got kicked out off track for safety reasons.

I got a great deal on a complete GN drivetrain and was planning on putting it into an old Chevelle.
To buy an old Chevelle I had to sell my Impala first.
But no one wanted to buy my Impala because it has almost 180,000 miles on it.
There you go.