Hybrid F-body camaro!

Tical

Hi all. I stumbled on to this site looking for a guy in the detroit area with a tri-turbo gn. Anyways i have a v6 f-body camaro. I was wondering if anyone has any info on swapping the 3.8T into an F-Body? I have a motor siting in my garage right now with low miles. The v6 in my camaro is tired. Please help.

What year F-body? If its a 3rd Gen, Turbo Trans Am's came factory with them so the swap parts are out there. If its a 4th Gen, I know a guy in Columbus that did it, though its impossible to keep the AC if you do since the compressor would be right on top of the crossmember. It has been done but its a fair bit of work and the motor mounts, trans mount, and torque arm attach all much be fabricated to some degree. The L36 3800 Series II is a total different animal than a classic 3.8 and the 3.4 is even more different.

Don't get mad, Get Informed,

I believe i am the guy from columbus that you are referring too. Let us know what year it is and then we will be able to help you out more. also do you plan on using the 200-4r or are you gonna stay with the tranny in your car now? Here are some pics if you are planning on a 4th gen swap 93+ www.personal.kent.edu/~gwheelan

I have a 4th gen with the 3.8. I dont need ac. Ill just keep my windows down. LOL! The 2004r sounds good but i have access to a th400 and a 350turbo. What do you guys think about those trannies?

gergwheel said:
I believe i am the guy from columbus that you are referring too. Let us know what year it is and then we will be able to help you out more. also do you plan on using the 200-4r or are you gonna stay with the tranny in your car now? Here are some pics if you are planning on a 4th gen swap 93+ www.personal.kent.edu/~gwheelan
Nice site! How much more do you have to finsh?

just have to fix a tranny cooler line leak, then i go to the track with it and see what it'll do. the only problem with the th400, or the th350 is that they do not have overdrive. so that means driving on the freeway will suck, and you won't get as good of gas mileage, but the 200-4r that comes in a GN is probably stronger the then th350, don't know about the th400.

Since you have an L36 Series II 3800, you probably have a 98+ car. Thats going to force most things to be custom.

TH400: Heavy, inefficient, but dang near bulletproof upto about 450-500 from the factory. Utilizes an electric kickdown and vacuum modulator for line pressure and downshifing. Factory equiped with lockup converter on some later models, TH400C.
TH350: Lighter, more efficient, but known to break at relatively low power numbers if not fortified. Utilizes mechanical kickdown and vacuum modulator for line pressure and downshifting. Factory equiped with lockup converter on some later models, TH350C.
TH200-4R: Moderately heavy, moderately efficient, has overdrive, designed to take a moderately modded LC2 from the factory but not known for its unmodified reliablity above 400hp. Utilizes TV cable for line pressure and downshifting. Factory equiped with lockup converter.

I'd stick with the TH200-4R, none of these trannies shares a crossmember with the stock 4th Gen 4L60E though there are crossmembers for 3rd Gen TH200-4R and consiquently TH400. There is also the issue of replacing the vacuum modulator with somethign mechanical though there are some tricks to make the vacuum one functional but not work very well. The other option is full manual valve body so you have to control your own shifts. If you plan on spending any significant time on the street you will want an overdrive as these engines do not like to be spun very fast for very long due to the shortcomings of the stock oiling system. Also you will likely need a better rearend as the stock one might very well give up the ghost with the LC2 torque curve and any sort of traction.

Just some info,

Whoops i messed up. I have a 94 which means i have a 3.4. DOH! How was the wiring on yours? Are you using the stock computer?

wiring wasnt bad at all, just used the buick computer, no need to leave the firebird computer in there. Just get some wiring diagrams from Mitchell's. 3.4 is easy to do, i don't have any experience with the 3.8 so at least i will be able to help ya out a little more.

Greg

Thanks. Ill be talking more about this later on. But for now, I have to find a harness computer and a th200-4r. Keep us posted on the progress!

Here are some recent pics for ya to check out. Just a little v6

Attachments

• car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 183
  • car2.JPG
    car2.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 173
  • car3.JPG
    car3.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 168
  • car4.JPG
    car4.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 164
Gregwheel those 5.0s want know hit em. Thats why i did it. Looks good. ;)

5.0's??? 5.0's suck ass when they are left stock. I am not even aiming at them, im aiming at my buddy's lightining you see in the background there :) its a built 351w with a pt64e turbo running 14 psi and this year he should easily be in the mid 11's, should easily put down 500 hp and 625 tq this year. Thats who im aiming for, but probably won't get him. http://www.turbomustangs.com/feature_cars/roblightning.php

Hopefully you are right, and it will be fun. So far all it seems like is work, and no fun at all.

Nice. Looks good. I like that aluminum rad. is that a stock gn turbo? Also on your page, are those custom mounts? Get it running and then post some vids!

yes those are custom mounts, not really that hard to make either. The aluminum radiator is a jegs universal GM radiator, doesnt fit great, but it is huge and it only cost me 150. Yes it is a stock turbo for now. I have a pt52 waiting to go on, but that probably wont be ready till next season, cause im gonna do that, alky, and a new chip all at 1 time. I might have some times/videos after sept 9th.

May i ask you, how much $$$ you have invested? I know ill problly have alot more into mine. Why? Because im am building it part by part. Im not sticking with the stock fuel system. Ive been at kinssler and we have been talking alot. I leaning toward bigger injectors, fuel presure regeulator, fuel pump and an lines. I dont want to go half @$$ on my car. I hate chop jobs. Ive been down that road before. Oh and should i chip the computer. I just got cpm from a junk yard. Too bad everything else was spoken for. The motor ran like a dream.

i prolly have about 6k into it now. I also have a walbro 255 in tank pump, using the stock lines, and i don't seeem to have fuel issues right now. yea will for sure have more money in it if you built it part by part. and yes, you should chip the computer, get ahold of eric at turbo tweak, i hear he is really good with chips, and that is probably who i am oging to go with too.

Thanks! I cant wait but i can. Evertime i go into my garage i have to look at my parts scattered around. I think this project will go deep into the winter. Its ok. As long as its done right!