You can type here any text you want

Idle Overspeed Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hi all,

The Vega project is turning out really well!! I'm excited! I have another small problem. At idle the car is running at 1500 to 2000 RPM. The boost gauge says i'm pulling 16 inches of vacuum, so I don't think its a vacuum leak.

I think the problem lies in the carburator. The idle screw is all the way out, and the throttle blades don't "look" missadjusted. The throttle shaft's worn out, could that be a source of a vac. leak?

Thanks a ton!!
Ben

Leaking around the throttle shaft is supposedly a big problem on the Q-jets. They can be rebushed (but I haven't needed to do this yet).

On your Vega, are you running a complete factory turbo set up? How about the downpipe? Hood Clearance? I have a few articles on Skyhawks with Turbo V6, but they were both Kenne-Bell aftermaket set ups.

If I ever run accross a cheap, rust-free Shyhawk with a V6 already in it, I would probably have to buy it and pop a turbo on. :)

I see quite a few Skyhawks down here in rust-free Phoenix. I've always thought that a turbo on a 'Hawk would be SO much cooler than a SBC Monza (although that Monza Mirage body kit would be a blast even though it looks VERY CHiPs) In fact, I gave my wife the choice between me getting the T to play with or a Skyhawk, and she said the Regal was the lesser of two evils!

It sure looks like that engine sits very low. Hood clearance may not really be an issue. If not, I'm sure a TR hood "bulge" would look OK.

http://www.zianet.com/v8monza/album/monza-mirage.htm

Found this too:

http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/hbodyfaq-9.html#9B.1

Yep, complete factory setup. Hood clearance is a problem. I'm just not running a hood right now.

I have to get a custom made crossover and downpipe. I had to relocate the fuel line and the front-right brake line, because it's a little too close for comfort.

What if I got a 4175 Holley and just modified the base plate to externally reference the power valve?

Ben

Back