installation problems!!

2bad4u

Let me start by saying I have had my 200-r4 out of my car 3 times and helped several others and I have never seen the issue I had today.
I had a hell of a time removing my driveshaft. I had no room to get the thing out of the rear. It was like the driveshaft was a 1/2 inch too long. I finally pried(slow and carefully) it out. I installed the new trans and went to re-install the driveshaft. Same problem! I need about 3/4 of an inch to get the thing back in the rear. I have never had any issue with the driveshaft before. I dropped the shocks and the H&R bar from the links hoping to drop the rear enough. No go.
The H&R bar and adjustable uppers have been installed and the pre-load and pinion angle have been set up by Billy Anderson since the last time the trans was out. Any ideas? My though is somehow I damaged the yoke, maybe twisted it and now it wont go all the way into the trans?

Thanks for any help,

Marley

I have the exact same issue with my drive shaft as well as a buddy of mine's. Ours were both that way when we got the cars. I noticed it first time I pulled the motor/trans, the drive shaft seemed about an inch to long. I was planning on having a new one made to fix the problem but would also like to know how it got that way or what caused it.

If the rear suspension is sitting higher than normal, the driveshaft will appear to be to long. The rear moves closer to the front of the car as you raise the suspension.

If the rear suspension is sitting higher than normal, the driveshaft will appear to be to long. The rear moves closer to the front of the car as you raise the suspension.

That is true when the suspension is compressed but this occured when the car was up on the hoist!!! Should be more slack when suspension is fully relaxed

No, if the car is up on a lift with the suspension fully extended, you will have trouble getting the driveshaft in and out. The rear will move forward. If you put the car on a 4 post lift that you drive up on the shaft will come out with no problems.

I took the springs out and jacked the rear up as high as I could get it. That made it work easily.