You can type here any text you want

Intercooler pipe size

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I think most guys will think it is overkill depending on the combo. I run 3" after the turbo right to the throttlebody, and don't have any more lag because of it if that helps you make your decision........

2.5 should be fine, I dont see the benifit of a bigger pipe after the i/c since the air is cooler so it is more dense and takes up less space.

I dont see the benifit of a bigger pipe after the i/c since the air is cooler so it is more dense and takes up less space
AMEN to that, brother! Most folks look at the power figures, and think there is really high air flow. But they forget that it is COMPRESSED air, it doesn't need the big pipes, ports, and valves that a normally aspirated engine might need. And the IC makes the air even denser, so it will flow through that little throttle body with NO problemo! (But there IS high volume flow through the air cleaner, and into the suction of the turbo compressor- don't make those things too small)

Though does it make any sense to neck it down to 2.5" with something like a Powerstroke which has 3.0" inlet and outlets?

Thanks,

CTX-SLPR said:
Though does it make any sense to neck it down to 2.5" with something like a Powerstroke which has 3.0" inlet and outlets?

Thanks,

Depends, is your t/b 3 inch as well as your intake hole for the t/b? If so then run 3 inch all the way but if not it will get necked down there anyways. JMHO

85 ttypewh1 said:
Depends, is your t/b 3 inch as well as your intake hole for the t/b? If so then run 3 inch all the way but if not it will get necked down there anyways. JMHO
Well the biggest TB they make is a 70mm, thats 2.75". Run an 85mm (3.35") MAF then neck it down at the TB, by the way I'm going to running a blowthrough MAF.

Not sure since it will be a blow through. I think the maf is calibrated with certian size inlet and out let, so i am unsure about your situation. Sorry.
Greg

I tried a 3" uppipe and got turbo lag down low.It did work better at highway speeds but I went back to stock. I'll try it again once my dutt neck is installed. Depends where you want the power to be.

Back