You can type here any text you want

Is this a decent price?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scauffiel

My TTA is not starting/staying running and I don't have a service manual. Is this a good price, everything being relative? I don't have the time to wait for one to pop up on eGay, and this price seems to include both the 1989 Shop Manual and Supplement.

Thoughts?

Steve

Its the only place to get it. So price is a relative thing.

It will give you tons of diagnostic data. Tho having spare parts also is invaluable in diagnosing issues.

Items to stock up, MAF, coilpack/ign module, spare computer, spare chip.

If the above items are replaced and teh car still doenst run.. your in deep dooo dooo.

The no start tree from the Buick manual is posted here under Troubleshooting.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

I had heard Helm recently lowered there prices on all pre 95 cars, of course when I checked the TTA manual was the same.:mad: Those things are pricless if you want to work on your own car. It will pay for it self the first time you start trying to throw parts at your car and nothing fixes it.

helm's makes the manuals - that's the best spot to get them from.

however - the tta supplement has been on backorder for a long time.... i don't know why they can't just print some out. they sent me the 89 firebird manual and it came on 2 reams of hole-punched paper... not book form.

It says its in stock. I'm pretty sure it didnt say that before, maybe they printed some up??

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I went ahead and ordered it. They both said in stock, one of them (IIRC it was the supplement) actually DID say 'print on demand' or something like that.

I've been real, REAL busy with buying a house, moving and working and really haven't had the time to play with either of my cars. It really saddens me to see her sit day after day under her cover so I thought I'd start devoting some time to her repair.

Before I moved I used to fire her up and either drive her to work one day a week or just go for a blast down the highway for twenty or thirty miles. She always started up, ran hard, and acted pleasantly run when I put her away. However. The ONE damn day I have to move her to a new home (while I closed on my house) she died while driving (luckily I had JUST made it out of the tunnel and died on the bridge). I found the ECM fuse had blown. Well, like a dumbass I had no fuses with me, so I pulled one from somewhere else, replaced it, and started her back up. Drive down the road another 300 yards and blam! Dead. Coast to a stop, check the fuse and it's blown again. Do the old find, swap and start and get another 300 yards down the road when it dies again. Again find a fuse to replace it with, start the car up, drive it 200 yards and it blows for the final time. Call a wrecker and have it towed 26 miles to her new home where she sat for three months.

When I closed on my house, I went to start her up to check on things and she just flat out wouldn't start. Cranks but no start. I wasn't in the mood for effing around with it, so I just towed it to my house - where she's sat for another five months.

So here we are today. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and will be getting a noid light today. I have a whole long ass list of things to check (things that I've pulled from this site and others) and will probably be picking your guys's brains on this matter a whole bunch more. I really miss driving her, but what's worse is I just don't think I have the time to devote to keeping her nice. I'm going to consider selling her once she's back up and running strong.

Of course, if THAT'S the case I may have a much harder time convincing myself that that's a good decision! My goal for this summer is to buy a 2005 GTO and spend a good amount of money on it to get it to look like the 'woodward cruise' version, while installing a single or twin turbo kit from STS on it. Paint it orange, add some updated graphics reminiscent of the old style "Judge"... I attached a pic of the vehicle in question in case anyone's interested.

Hey Tony - don't suppose you have a TTA tachometer in that 'parting out' GTA?

I appreciate any and all help and ideas fellas!

Steve

Attachments

• 2004-pontiac-gto-ram-air-6-fa-top-1280x960 (large cropped).jpg
    2004-pontiac-gto-ram-air-6-fa-top-1280x960 (large cropped).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 113
IMHO if they had made the GTO look like that concept they wouldnt of been able to keep them on the lot!! That is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen I love it.

If your poping fuses skip the no start tree and go right to the wiring diagram. You need to find everything thats on that fuse. That web site has the ECM wiring diagram on it too, it shows the MAF and coil module on that fuse. First thing I would do is inspect all wires going to those units. If you cars sits alot a mouse or somethigng could of nibbled on one causing a short. Since it runs for a little while I dont think its the wiring. Try putting a new fuse in and unplug the MAF and then start it and see if it stays running, if it does MAF is bad. Then theres the coil, if its starts and runs then I dont see it being that. Then of course it could be the ECM itself. Lets hope its just the MAF. The wiring diagram on that site is for the buick but I'm ASSuming its mostly right.

HTH
Chris

Alrighty then - I'll try to do some looking this weekend to see what I got. Thanks for the tips fellas,

Steve

Back