You can type here any text you want

Is this ok for stock chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I just got my car put together a couple weeks ago. I have a 237 regulator, K&N cone, 204-214 cam, 160 tstat, and open exhaust after the cat. Should I keep the stock chip in or put in a modified 93 octane chip in? The chip is unknown all I know is that its for stock injectors which I do have and fan turn on at 175, 93 octane. Would it be ok to run this chip on 92 octane? the station that used to sell 93 no longer sells it, just 91. Maybe Michael Mccoy can step in and shed a little light on this chip beings I purchased it from him, if he remembers-he has sold a lot of stuff:biggrin: ! I know I should just get a chip but I plan on injectors and maybe alky by the end of summer if all goes well.

Well do you have a ScanMaster or data logging program? Because if you want to try the 93 oct chip with 91 or 92, you're going to need a way to watch for detonation. If you don't have any sort of scanner then I would not risk running it with lower octane gas. Nobody can really sit here and tell you 100% that it will be ok. You'd just have to install it and watch what happens.

For under 100 dollars a TurboTweak chip is a bargain to get your car running safely. Then if you end up doing different injectors and alky, you don't have to buy an entire chip again, Eric at TT will update your chip for the new parts for only $55.

So anyways, if you're working blind without anything like a ScanMaster, I wouldn't risk swapping anything.

I figured I would have to pay another hundred bucks:redface: , that's cool. I think I will go ahead and get one sometime, probably around the end of the month. Will I have to send that 93 chip in for a core?

The stock chip has 22 deg timing at wot, which these days would be a 93 octane + alky or a 96-100 octane chip, plus the fan on/off temps will keep the motor near 200 deg which is too hot for best detonation resistance. For the last several years a 93 chip from most chipmakers typically has 19-20 deg of timing, and a 91 chip maybe 18 deg, and I bet your McCoy chip is similar so I think it would be much better than the stock chip. The 91 vs 93 octane means turn the boost down another psi or so. Just start low and watch your scan tool for knock as you should with any new chip or tune. You might need a little higher idle speed with that cam anyway, so start with the McCoy chip and get some data and either stay with it or then go on to a TT chip.

I'll pop it in and see what happens after I replace that frozen IAC. For some reason it seems like my turbo spools way too quick and too much psi. I think I came up with reasons for that. A: The last turbo buick I had was a carb car and B: The factory guages probably don't read right to begin with. I highly doubt I'm redlining when I kick it down half throttle and boost is pegging out. Although I do not have any exhaust past the stock UNgutted cat. Can't wait till the end of the month, get to buy more stuff, like much needed guages! Thanks guys.

Back