You can type here any text you want

JL Audio 8" sub in bandpass for sale..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Bandpass enclosures can be divided into two basic types: single-reflex and dual-reflex. In a single-reflex design, the rear chamber is sealed and the front chamber is ported. In a dual-reflex design, both front and rear chambers are ported into the listening area. A variation of the dual-reflex and single-reflex, known as "series-tuned," has a port which connects the rear and front chambers. His enclosure would be more of a "Quasi-6th order series tuned bandpass" since he has only one port vented to the listening area verse dual reflex which has two ports into the listening area. Wheres the second port Nick?? ;) :p

Bandpass enclosures can be divided into two basic types: single-reflex and dual-reflex.
Yes, but that looks very very wrong. The place where the plexiglass goes looks in the picture to only be a few inches above the woofer. It needs to be minimum 1/2 the diameter of the woofer. And in reality it should be almost the whole diameter. In the pick it looks to be at most 1 or 2 inches. If you were to add the entire volume of the area where the plexiglass is it is probably not more than 2 X 8 X 8 = 128 cubic inches. It should be at least 1/3 of the required air space of the woofer. For that 8 I would guess it needs at least 1 foot. So 1/3 of that is 1/3 foot or 4 X 8 X 8 = 570 inches. The woofer does not have enough room to acquire enough spring in the suspension. I would bet that that sounds very very bad. No wonder why you said you think bandpass enclosures sound bad.

i'm intersted in just the sub. Is it a W0 ? 4 ohm? I'm going to run 4 JL 8"w0's in my hurst, so far i have two. either way i would only pay about 50 for a used w0 if that much.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Yes, but that looks very very wrong. The place where the plexiglass goes looks in the picture to only be a few inches above the woofer.

I get that same impression considering I cannot tell the actual depth from the pic but if it is only 1" depth, then that would not be enough space when the total space of both chambers should be 1/3 to 2/3 ratio.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
I would bet that that sounds very very bad. No wonder why you said you think bandpass enclosures sound bad.
:eek:

well, i bought it off ebay just for the sub, because i was going to have two 8w0's but i decided on 8w3 v2's instead so.. im selling it.

i paid $53.50 for it shipped and i just wanna get rid of it, the reserve is $60 cause ive driven from here to there looking for cheap plexi and ups is like 15 minutes from my house. i put a buy it now thinknig maybe someone would just really want it, but i doubt it.

in any case.. the original seller said it was a "bandpan" and i assume he meant bandpass just didnt know how to spell it.. ive never hooked it up except once to see if the sub was good, so i dont know how it sounds.

soo.. i can go get it out fo the car and get some measurements and we can track down this thign..

88 cutty i will find out if it is an 8w0 and post up. i tried to take it out of the box but it has some weird philips LOOKING screws holding it in..

That picture looks like a transmission line enclosure. Very deep bass if it is done right.

do you think it is worth keeping if i put a plexi front on it? it ALMOST fits perfectly in the well behind the drivers seat.. nearly no one ever sits in my backseat so i could just put it there and it would be out of the way.

if i did i would probably swap the 8w0 for a 8w3 or maybe the 8" brahma i keep hearing rumors about ;)

can anyone put the measurements in winISD or whatever that box software is and see how it might work?

If you put it behind the drivers seat I gaurantee you will be disapointed. You will not have any deep bass response. I tried this once as an experiment taking a known good small box. Had great response in the trunk aimed at the back. Put it in the cabin with the same power, same source, etc and it sounded like sh*t. Gotta put it in the trunk. As far as aiming the port you will get various responses. Since bass deepens the longer the path length I beleive the best is towards the back. But others will disagree.

well, i got some scrap plexi .093" thick and of course its not thick enough.. and it leaks cause i didnt buy enough screws so apparently 10 screws arent enough.

i cant really hook it up as i dont have any wires..

i *could* use both strands of some 16ga wire i have for power and ground but i dont think thats even enough power to run this little 30x2 amp i have. i think it puts out 120x1 @ 4 ohms bridged.

Back