Just Died on the way home

bwallace

I was driving down the interstate when my 87 GN died. I was cruising at 70 mph when I heard one short low level pop sound, then the car just died. I was able to get to the shoulder safely, but was unable to restart. I am getting plenty of juice, but seems to be no spark. Haven't had time to check anything out yet but wondered if anyone else has had this problem or maybe a good idea of where to start. After 3 hours of waiting for a tow, I didn't want to leave it sitting along a busy interstate, I saw no signs of leaks, broken wires or anything visable in the engine compartment out of the ordinary. :confused: :mad:

If it was me, I would have taken my spare coilpak/ignition module I got from red regal t, out of my trunk and installed it. Better than 50/50 chance I could continue on my way without delay.:D

had similar prob...check interrupter ring on cam sensor

popping and car dying

I had the same problem, the crank sensor blew out on me. I would look at that first then make sure your cam sensor didn't spin. I would go to the coilpack and module next, those are more expensive parts. good luck

Originally posted by Red Regal T
If it was me, I would have taken my spare coilpak/ignition module I got from red regal t, out of my trunk and installed it. Better than 50/50 chance I could continue on my way without delay.:D

lol.....shameless....shameless plugs!! ;) :D

That's what I was thinking too, coilpack, cam or crank sensor. I thought it might also be a fuel problem, but hopefully it will only be the coilpack I happen to have an extra, but tools would have helped at the time. With the high milage even if it turns out to be the coilpack should I look at replacing the crank and cam sensors also. Only had the car 4 month and would like to be more proactive than reactive, my goal is to have a daily driver and take it out to the track a few times this summer and would rather replace troublesome parts before they go bad. Since this is my first experience with a TR any information is much appreciated. Thanks for the advice I learn something new everyday.

there is away too check the cam sensor .i read something in one of kirbans books about looking ,for side to side movement ,ithink a.25 in side to side movement is to much ,might be worth checking into

I'll get some mileage out of this link today.

I just posted it this afternoon. :)

Click here to see a legible version of the no-start diagnostic section of the Buick service manual.

That happened to me once. Turned out to be a snapped crank

Jeez Greg, thats one hell of a table!! (The flowchart)

Having just went through basically the same thing. Check the balancer bolts and/or crank sensor.

I recently got an updated thumbwheel chip from Caspers. When I was driving on the highway and playing with my switch.I changed it between 5 then 6 then 7 and the car died. Freaking out and then thought switch it out of 7 STUPID.... Car went back to running. That chip is all messed up. Anyways just wondering if it could be chip.

Sounds like something that happened to my Dad as he was driving the car to me from Delaware.

In my case it was the Crank Sensor.. Could be the timing chain too if it was stock.. did you notice any weird noise coming from the front of the engine before?

No weird noise from the engine, but cold starts have been rough. I still haven't had time to get under the hood, but the engine turns over fine, just won't start. I picked up another coilpack, crank and cam sensor. Didn't hear anything that would lead me to a major internal problem so I am hoping it's one of these. Thanks to all who responded.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, it turned out to be something I did. I was messing around with the oil sender, plan on adding a new oil pressure gauge, and must have moved the wiring harness. One of the pipes off the turbo melted the plug for the oil sending unit and caused a short in the fuse for the fuel pump. I went ahead and installed the new oil pressure gauge and sender running new wiring and a new fuse and she fired right up. This is a work in progress so I expect a few set backs before it's finished. Thanks again for all the help.