You can type here any text you want

just incase you didnt know..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Exellent article. I am an electrical engineer and have always used extension cords for my home stuff. Despite the fact that I don't need the third conductor or the ends it is the cheapest way to buy wire at my local Walmart (100' 16ga typically). I buy this and cut the ends off. This seems like a waste but it is cheaper. I suppose the volume of general purpose cords is so high they can provide more for less than speaker wire. There could be cheaper speaker wire but not at my Walmart. I don't use romex (solid house wire) for flexability reasons but feel it would function the same.

There is a wealth of useless things done in my opinion. I like to see people combat these as this article does.

THANK YOU! :)

Finally I have seen an article from a respected person (McIntosh is near the top) that proves what common sense tells you.

Time to inform a few people I've had this 'discussion' with about this article.

Very good find.

Definately a good read.
There is some plain common sense in there. Spend a lot of money where its not needed, and you're just buying hype and brand advertising.
Glad to see some info straight from one of the masters. (Ok, Im a bit biased, I do own a McIntosh amp, and their plant is practically in my backyard..lol)
I have been searching for info on the background of McIntosh Labs for awhile. Great find indeed!
Thanks!

One of these days Im dying to take a tour of the place. I hear they throw out good equipment because it doesnt meet their high standards, when its probably still a lot better than lots of stuff out there. I know a few people who have taken plant tours, and they have come back and wouldnt stop talking about it. Being an amateur studio recording engineer, they would probably have to follow me around to keep picking my jaw up off the floor!

Back