Just picked up our '02 Forester!

gn1220

Found my wife an '02 Forester thursday night and finally picked it up tonight. :) It's burgandy with tan leather, power windows, locks, tilt, cruise, heated seats, c/d, cassette, etc. with 27,000 miles. I really wasn't a big fan of Subaru but after driving this one, I kinda like it. Seems tight, solid and runs pretty good with the flat 4. Wish it was turbocharged but, oh well.

She needed something a little bigger than the Prizm now that we have another baby due in Oct. so she decided she wanted the Forester. I've never bought a car from a dealership before so this was all new to me. Actually, it all went a lot smoother than I expected. Anyway, just wanted to share my news and see if maybe anybody else has a Subaru or knows much about them.

The dealership where I'm stuck has a Subaru franchise (among others)-The only things to be concerned about: Oil leaks from the front crank seal (off-brand and esp JIffy Lube filters that do not have an internal pressure relief valve will cause the seals to leak), check engine light due to 02 sensors or in some cases the cat converters themselves. Also be very vigilant about tire upkeep-the way the awd system is designed if there is more than 1/8 inch variance in tire diameter (ex-replacing only 1 or 2 tires) the differential will read wheel slippage and constantly apply more and more torque until the end result is a fried transfer case.
They are very good all-around vehicles, if I could fit in one I would probably own one, but that's another story.

Thanks for the tip regarding the oil filter. I guess I'll have to buy them from Subaru rather than O'Reilly. I would rather spend a little more on filters than crank seals.:)

My parents bought a 2001 Forester and love it,of course it only has 4,000 miles on it. They don't drive much. I drove it, but can't give any opinion. Good luck and happy motoring.:)

I just suckered the wife into liking a brand new 2005 forester XT Turbo. We're picking it up monday night. The test drive was fun... the AWD full boost launch was part of my little test. ITS ALL GOOD! Can't wait to beat up my bud with his 2003 GTP and my brother in law with his modded Marauder. Both these guys will be like WTF?? That stupid scoobie wagon just beat my arse into the pavement?! I can't wait!

Oh and besides the driveline, the rest of the car is nice too!

we have a 01 Legacy w/ 50K. Its been a great car, never been back for any service work. Now the "new" Legacy's have 250 hp!:D It's time to trade up.
Ross

I have a WRX, bug eyed 2003. Love it. Snappy and runs like its on rails. Changed the way I take on / off ramps.:D

BT:cool:

Mike, next time you're in the market for a vehicle, give me a call...I'll get you whatever you want without the ridiculous dealer mark-ups.

Good luck with the Forrester.