Knock Detectors

b4black

Well I finaly ordered a Knock detector for my '83 T Type. I went back and forth about which to get. I wanted to get Casper's gauge with the green, yellow and red lights. It's more expensive than most, but I like it's look.

But it's only available in black bezel/black face or black/white. :( I really wanted silver/silver to match the gauges on the instrument panel (and the AutoMeter Ultra-lite gauges I plan to buy). They used to carry silver/silver for the TR, but not now. Instead I went with Casper's audible knock dectector. This way I don't have to worry about it looking different, I don't have to figure out where to mount it on the dash and I don't have to worry about it being stolen off the A-pillar. Plus it's much cheaper. :)

I will let everyone know how well it works.

Just curious how you would know how much knock your getting with the buzzer opposed to the green/yellow/red lights? Different sound? Longer/louder buzzzzzzz?
How much $$ anyway?

The length of the tone it supposed to indicate the amount of knock. 1/4 second is moderate and 1/2 second is severe. It is also supposed to chirp on light knock, but I can't get it to ever chirp while testing.

It was $39 vs $65 for the gauge according to the website. It looks like prices are going up, since the paper catalog list $49 and $69.

I hooked up, but it only goes off on engine start up,even though the Scan Tool is showing knock. But I cheated and used quick splicers. I need to go solder the wires.

The knock I see (and hear) with the scan tool comes at shifts. From the instruction sheet; "Light detonation due to normal acceleration or engine load between gear chnages will not set the alarm off, and you should not be concerned when there is no audible indication." Accorinding to John Spina at Casper's, shift knock is not harmful becuase it occurs will the engine isn't under load and only damaging knock is indicated by the buzzer. I hope he is right.