You can type here any text you want

Lifter Oil Feed Holes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jeff Rand

On my stage 2 the lifter bores have been bushed but do not have an oil feed hole in the bushing.The bores have been drilled for a 5/16" allen screw. Any ideas on how to drill the oil feed hole.
Thanks,
Jeff

Use a small bit through the allen screw hole, into the lifter bore and through the back into the galley. If the front holes are already tapped, you'll have to be careful to not screw up the threads.

Kendall, thanks for the reply. Is there a certain distance from the top of the lifter bore to the drilled hole that I have to maintain? Since the allen hole is rather large (5/16"), I stand a better chance not to disturb the threads. Also do know what size hole I should drill?
Thanks,
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
Kendall, thanks for the reply. Is there a certain distance from the top of the lifter bore to the drilled hole that I have to maintain? Since the allen hole is rather large (5/16"), I stand a better chance not to disturb the threads. Also do know what size hole I should drill?
Thanks,
Jeff

I would use 1/8" or smaller. You will be limited in how small of a bit you can use that will be long enough. If you drill through the front hole roughly perpendicular to the lifter bore angle, you will do OK. After you do the first one, sight through the galley with the bit still in the hole and see how close you are to center.

Kendall's advice is great. I had to do the same thing on my Indy blocks, except I had to drill and tap (did the thread tapping last) the 5/16" holes then continue on into the lifter bores with a .125" (1/8") bit. You can get long 1/8" bits at almost any hardware store (ACE for sure).

Thanks for the information. I will get that 1/8" bit today and this might be a good excuse to buy a right angle air drill from Harbor Frieght.
Thanks again,
Jeff

I forgot to mention Jeff. Take a look at my photo gallery, and in the Indy blocks album the first and second pictures show the before and after of my oiling mods to the lifters.

Thanks Dave, I got all the items needed to drill the holes and sometime this week I will take a stab at it. Your block looks like it progressing nicely. I am assuming that you decided to build the sleeved block.
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
Thanks Dave, I got all the items needed to drill the holes and sometime this week I will take a stab at it. Your block looks like it progressing nicely. I am assuming that you decided to build the sleeved block.
Jeff

No I haven't decided. I completed the oiling mods to both blocks. I also have a new set of main studs coming for the non sleeved block. I'm really leaning toward the non sleeved block for several reasons.

First and formost I can make A LOT MORE cubic inches with it. There's a limit to how much the sleeved one can be bored, and it's no where near 4 inches :mad:

Less maching involved with the non sleeved block (probably won't have to do much cutting to clearance a stroker crank). The sleeves in the sleeved block hang down low enough that I cant even clear a stock crank (on the back two cylinders anyway) without machining the bottoms of them.

etc. etc.

Dave, the setup of your sleeves is different from what I have seen in the past. Ususlly the sleeves do not extend to the bottom of the bore. When you overbore for the sleeve a shelf is created to act as a stop near the bottom of the bore.
Is there a lip on the top of your sleeve to hold it in place?
Jeff

I can only assume, form what I see, that somewhere down in the bore on the back side of the sleeves, there must be a step. Because the part of the sleeve that hangs down out the bottom is much thinner (walled) than what you can see at the top (deck).

So, to me it seems, if a person were to try and bore the sleeves to something around 4", somewhere down in there the step is going to be hit, and the lower part of the sleeve that isn't as thick is going to be bored completely away.
Wrong assumption? right?
And if so, can a person safely do that (bore it out to the point the lower part of the sleeve is bored away to nothing)?

I can only assume, form what I see, that somewhere down in the bore on the back side of the sleeves, there must be a step. Because the part of the sleeve that hangs down out the bottom is much thinner (walled) than what you can see at the top (deck).

So, to me it seems, if a person were to try and bore the sleeves to something around 4", somewhere down in there the step is going to be hit, and the lower part of the sleeve that isn't as thick is going to be bored completely away.
Wrong assumption? right?
And if so, can a person safely do that (bore it out to the point the lower part of the sleeve is bored away to nothing)?

I hope I'm making some sense ;)

Back