You can type here any text you want

Losing fuel Pres. with heat (may be)??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I may have found part of my problem. I was out trying to get my car running better on a country road. I was having luck at first and was up to 25#'s. As I drove the car more it started sputtering and popping real bad. I then started to build boost slowly and saw my boost and fuel rising together, but when I hit about 15#'s the boost kept going up but the fuel pressure started dropping. Now I'm confused, I was up to 25#'s with it running real good but it was slightly lean(720 o2's). I pulled over and added a few #'s of fuel pressure, drove down the road a bit and turned around. I then romped on it and was rich at first then the poping started. I then built the boost slowly and watched the fuel press and saw it climb and then drop.
My father has a N/A V8 chevy with dual carbs and a tunnel ram. He has had 3 diff fuel systems in the car and finally traced his loss of fuel press down to his regulator heating up. Could heat be messing me up? The more I drove the worse it got, and I assume the hotter the engine compartment got. Any one have any input on what may be causing my loss of F.P?
My fuel system consists of:
Msd 50's
walbro 340 (hot wired)
adj. reg with aftermarket top and stock bottom
stock style fuel filter thats 2 yrs old and has had about 500 miles on it.
I also run a Translator plus, 3.5" MAF, and a extender chip. I was seeing around 210 MAF's and since the extender chip cuts MAF's in half then I guess my MAF's where really 420.

Any one got any input for me??

TIA: Jason

Regulators have springs in them and heat will affect spring tension.

A lot of things can cause low fuel pressure.

Start at the pump and work forward.

Regulators- bad/broken spring, leaks on boost/vacuum sensing line or upper chamber, just flat hang up and cause a restriciton.

To be honest I haven't heard great things about the Bosch 237 that were made adjustable.

What kind of shape are your vaccum hoses in?

BTW - you said "adj. reg with aftermarket top and stock bottom"...

If it's the kind that tapped the vaccum for the adjustment, they haven't had a very good track record. You really need a quality unit like the Accufab or even the one Mark Martone used to make for $50.

I would change the fuel filter anyway. It's cheap insurance and the 2 years would be more concern than 500 miles.

When was the Walbro put in?

Even though the extender chip expands the MAF, I'm not sure if a scan tool can recognize it...

The reg is one of those where some company (iam not sure who) takes and cuts the top of a stock reg off and then puts and aluminum top on it. I think Ill swap it with my stocker an see if the problem remains. I will also change the filter and check hoses. I sure hope its not the pump it was put in 2 yrs ago also. Taking the tank out of one of these really sucks compared to a GN.

Thanks for the inputs: Jason

I would look at the FP regulator. I use one that Pearcy sells for like a 100 bucks all aluminum..that can be taken apart..

The hose leading the the regulator has a tendency to crack and cuase problems..the factory used a plastic hard line. Also look at hoses around the top of the throttlebody..those will crack as well..

I'm with Mark..filter, vacuum lines, regulator, pump in that order.. I dont trust those modded stock regulators.

And the pump is the last thing I would want to do as well..keep the boost down till ya know for sure.

Back