You can type here any text you want

MAF question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
What are the differences (besides 3in - 3.5 in) between LS1 and LT1 MAF's?

Benefits??

And, will the LS1 MAF work with the Trans+??

Did a search, and really didn't uncover details. Some use 1, some use the other.

I'm gonna guess no responses mean that this question was dumber than I thought? No differences?:confused:

Originally posted by chicagoTTA
What are the differences (besides 3in - 3.5 in) between LS1 and LT1 MAF's?

Benefits??

And, will the LS1 MAF work with the Trans+??

Did a search, and really didn't uncover details. Some use 1, some use the other.

I think I've seen a post by Turbobob where he said they'd both work fine with the T+. He uses the LS-1, The reason he used a LS-1 MAF was more than the size and air flow, but I don't have a clear recall of his post.

You might search the turbo lounge for turbobob or turbodave's posts to find more information. You might find more specific information at Mike Light's Full Throttle website, its dedicated to supporting the T+. They'll be used to this type of question.

I used the LT-1 MAF because it replaced the stock MAF with no other modification necessary to the stock air box.

:)

Thanks Lee! You're one of the guys here we all can count on to answer.

You rock. I'll check out FullThrottle's site, and the posts as you've suggested.:cool:

Times in sig were done on a OEM 89 TTA GM MAF.

But if you like change.. go for it :D

Originally posted by Razor
Times in sig were done on a OEM 89 TTA GM MAF.

But if you like change.. go for it :D

Julio, I thought of you as I bought that AC Delco PCV valve today, after all this time. ;)

Lee.. ahh I had a warm feeling.. now I know why :D

Its amazing what the OEM parts can do and how sensitive these cars are to non-AC Delco equivalents. From PCV's, coil packs/ignition modules, MAF, O2's, TPS, IAC, crank sensors, etc.. you'll find posts dragging the aftermarket electrical parts with probs...

These are the only car's i've ever been exposed too that are this way.

Darn, the MAF on my car was replaced with a 'rebuilt' unit not long ago. Maybe I should go find a new OEM type.

Originally posted by pvt num 11
Darn, the MAF on my car was replaced with a 'rebuilt' unit not long ago. Maybe I should go find a new OEM type.
There's not many of those left and if you do find one you'll pay a hefty price. And the Non-OEM ones are garbage, that's why everyone converts to the LT1 or LS1 and the Trans, yes, they both will work, its the Impala LT1 3" MAF or the LS1 3.5" MAF that the trans was designed to work with, although some people run the f-body LT1 MAFs ok.

i ran the z 06 maf with my translator cause it was the largest least restrictive maf i could get

So, if I wanted to replace my MAF, what would I need to do to use an Impala LT1 MAF? Are they plug 'n' play, or do I need some sort of adapter?

The LT-1, LS-1 MAFs and their Chebby cousins have electronic signals that speak to the PCM in Chebby....You need to translate Chebby talk into Buick talk with a Translator if you go to the LT-1 MAF.

The Translator is a deep subject. Check with Full Throttle Speed Ahead, or, Ramchargers for more about the translator. Or, do a search.

:)

Originally posted by idaho gn
i ran the z 06 maf with my translator cause it was the largest least restrictive maf i could get

Yeah but you need a motor that can outflow the stock MAF before worrying bout a larger one.. :p

I'm gonna catch hell for this.. :D

Originally posted by Razor
Yeah but you need a motor that can outflow the stock MAF before worrying bout a larger one.. :p

I'm gonna catch hell for this.. :D

come on you know stock parts are no good !!! :p

RD

Well said man.

C'mon, we ALL know that 'alky' thingee is really NOS. ;) :p

You rock. Can't wait to see what you're up to.

Like previously ( above ) stated - Impala / Roadmaster maf's are the 3" ones . The LT1 Vette or F-Bodys were 3.5" the same size as the LS1.

But also as stated above unless you are flow deprived, bigger isn't always better.

To answer the other question , I used a T-plus on the LS1 maf and it worked fine.

Newest maf's have the IAT sensor built into it so it has a five wire plug in. I don't know what year they started that type though. My 2001 STS has this type.

Back