You can type here any text you want

Mid '00 3/4 ton silverado hydroboost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I know guys are using these on older cars and only mods are to the rod. They mount to older chevelles using the vacuum brake bracket off the booster. I assume these can be used on our cars also?

You will need the correct mounting bracket in order to achieve the correct angle for the brake pedal and a very short rod pedal as the one on the unit is too long. I think these units are pretty much the same as the Astro unit, but don't quote me on that..lol Check out pics below for correct mounting bracket and rod length that worked for me.

Attachments

From what I gather these have the flat mounting plate. I would think I can get the bracket off any g or b body booster from the 80s?

Looks like those boosters have the bolts incorporated into the booster assembly so you'd have to cut out a plate from the booster itself. Another question is if you would need the vacuum brake pedal since you would be using the mounting point of the vaccum brake setup? The plates you are thinking of from the chevelles might also leave you with a pretty big hole in the firewall as seen below...lol

Just some food for thought..

Attachments

If you like the way my swap came out then I could probably track down the mounting bracket and rod for you. I don't think it would be too expensive for both items and it looks factory in my opinion. Just let me know...

The newer style units have 2 different mounting plates. One is angled and the other is straight. If I remember correctly the stud spacing on the bracket needs to be removed and a custom bracket installed which shouldnt be hard to make, just a plate with new holes drilled but I don't know if it can be removed without removing the rod which I don't want to have to do. I don't have a problem with cutting the rod and threading it making it adjustable. I also read that the end of the rod is larger, creating slop on the brake pedal which I'm sure could be sleeved with something from a hardware store. I suppose I could have an extension bracket made to make it a direct bolt on with no cutting of the rod, but that brings up the question of the cast master cylinder having enough space to not hit the pump resevoir. I don't think it would but who knows.

Back