You can type here any text you want

Mid Plate for GN?

• Thread starter Thread starter TurboDiverArt
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
T

TurboDiverArt

Hi Guys,

I know some of you guys run mid-plates. My car doesn't use one but in retrospect I think I should. I've done some checking in the usual places but don't see any listed. Where did you get yours? Not that it matters but I have a Stage II on-center with a Buick TH400 in an 87 GN

Thanks

Boy Art, I'll tell ya what I remember, but we all know I don't have a memory.

I think it was a small block Chebby one I used. If it was Summit now has them. I did get mine from a small speed shop back east...sorry can't remember the name.

I had to drill a couple of holes in it for the BOP housing plus the top 2 holes in the housing didn't make it into the plate so I use 1/8" spacers there. I installed everything (cutting was necessary to fit between frame rails) and then welded brackets to the frame and bolted the plate to the brackets.

Hopefully someone else can chime in .... I'd hate to mislead you with my rotten recall.

Chris

That sort of makes sence. If my also poor memory serves me I think Neal Whyte once told me that the mid plate in his car is from a Monte. The plate is what 1/4" - 3/8" thick? Wondering if I'd need to have the drive shaft shortened. Pretty good excuse for me to get an aluminum drive shaft.... huuuummmmm :)

I think TA Performance makes one.
Ask Chris Chow, he bought one last year.

I don't know Chris Chow, do you have his email address?

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
That sort of makes sence. If my also poor memory serves me I think Neal Whyte once told me that the mid plate in his car is from a Monte. The plate is what 1/4" - 3/8" thick? Wondering if I'd need to have the drive shaft shortened. Pretty good excuse for me to get an aluminum drive shaft.... huuuummmmm :)

My plate is 1/8".

I had my driveshaft made up after the plate install ... so the measurements I took were with the thickness of the plate taken into account.

I would think that if you dropped your present driveshaft you'd be able to see how much further it's able to go into the transmission without bottoming out and therefore would know if you'd need the extra 1/8" clearance.

Chris

Damn, I'd hope that 1n 1/8" wouldn't bottom out but you never know. Could also put the rear on jack stands, disconnect from the rear the push foward. If I've got more than say 1/2" I should me OK. I didnt' realize they were only 1/8 but then considering the load is put length wise I guess it's pretty damn strong. TA Performance does make one, need to email them to get a price. Has an integrated flexplate shield so that's nice too.

Thanks for the info!

Not knowing much about mid-plates........what exactly are the benefits of having one?? Thanks

A mid plate works as an additional anchor between the block and transmission to the frame. Takes stress off the side of the block where the engine mounts are. Also takes stress off the transmission mount. I'd think that it also may help strengthen and reduce distortion of the block. Here's a link to the TA Performance website where you can see a picture of a mid-plate.

http://www.taperformance.com/Trans.htm

About mid way down the page under transmissions.

Back