Motorcycle accidents?

Whitettype86

Young William
Last week My dad got in a motorcycle accident:mad: :confused:
My dad bought a 2003 100 anniversity haritage softail W/ gold key package three months ago. Last week was the start of Arizona bike week and he was preparing his bike for it. He was driving home last thursday the third on his way home from work about 8:30. A 17 year old girl driving a nissian sentra lost control and was also told she was confused due to road construction hit my dad in the opposite lane head on. It looks like my dad tried to miss her but still hit her passenger front end and he tried to ride it out but ended up laying the bike down and was thrown 20-30 feet from the bike. The girl has been only driving for two months as I was told from her mom. Her mom was really emotional and tried to say her peace but I was not taking it to well. This conversation with her mom was from the next day when I went to the crash site to look and see what happened and to look for my dads cell phone. She told me what happened that her daughter hit my dad and was shocked. The mother asked how my dad was doing. And I told her straight up. My dads going to loose everthing from the chest down due to a stretched spinal cord and he had some pins installed C1, C2 and T1 and T3 of the vertabra. His face is fractured in 8 places. He has left broken leg and a right broken foot. He was wearing a helment but it was a open style. Doctors in the E.R said he could die of a stroke due to an senvered vain on the left side that feeds one side of the brain. U have four I think as I was told. The other three will take over but If u have High blood pressure or really low pressure he could have a stroke. All week this has been a mess. My mom a mess, Mt little and only sister is a mess and I'm a mess. I really didn' t know it would hit this hard looking at him starring at the ceilling and not saying a word or moving an eye lid laying down on with a halo around his head and know he's thinking of the worse. I wish nobody has to go threw something like this its one of the worst fillings u could ever get.

I have some ?

How do people work this out finically? Would u get a lawer?
How do things work out?:confused:

I'm getting tired and have to get back to the in the morning hosiptal. :(

I was in Phoenix this time last year. It seemed like every morning I would hear on the news about a biker getting hit or being in an accident. You really have to be on your toes out there on a bike. It's like people don't even see you.
Luck to your dad. Hope he pulls through this.

I was in a very bad motorcycle accident when I was 19 and broke my knee, but luckly after 2 surgery's - fully recovered (although today at 44 I have pretty severe arthritis in my left knee).

First of all, do not give up...Despite what doctors tell you, keep the faith and remember that 90% of the outcome in these situations is the patients will & desire to overcome the obstacles.
Make sure your Dad doesn't give up. His quality of life may never be the same but he if he has a strong support system within the family he can overcome a lot.

Second - I am not a big advocate of lawyers in general, but in this case I would get a good lawyer. Nothing you or your family receives from this will make up for what happened, and it will probably take years to get any sort of compensation, but it should be pursued. Take the time to find a good lawyer, not a schmuck. If the case is as you present it, he will take the case for free and get paid when you win the case.

I recently went thru a phase where I almost bought a motorcycle and my wife (who knew me when I broke my knee 25 years ago, talked me out of it.) I bought a Buick GN instead. After reading your note I know I made the right decision.

I hope everything works out. Hang in there. .

Being from Milwaukee I am really close to the biker thing. In the summers it gets really croweded with bikers especially on the anniversary years. This fall is going to be awesome. Up there most people are polite towards the bikers and watch for them. Now I live in IL and the drivers definatly do not do the same.

I work on the side for a custom bike shop and plan on start riding. Definatly the danger is in everyone else on the road.

I feel deeply for what has happened to your father, but everything happens for a reason. Life is short and everyone should enjoy every second they can. I race my car and ride bikes to enjoy my life. I am definatly happier than if I just drove a civic and never did anything exciting.

-Jon-

As a person who's ridden 2-wheeled motorized vehicles all his life,
(<------)
I never like hearing stories like this. I hope your father pulls thru this, but it will take some time.

DO get a lawyer, but do what you can to find some "happy customers" or other references. My niece was run down in a crosswalk about 5 years ago, and the ambulance chasing lawyers who run the most TV ads around here were called. But they struck a deal with the plaintiff's insurance company that most benefitted THEM, without ever involving ANYONE else. It was bull$#!t...my niece got her medical bills paid, period, while the lawyers pocketed everything else. Their entire workload in the case consisted of making a few phone calls. The only recourse was to sue the lawyers, which would've cost more in time and money than it was worth. Classic catch-22, and the lawyers knew it. :mad:

Good lawyers are out there, good luck to you and your dad.

check the ama website if you cannot find any info there check with a bike shop. ama has attorneys that specialize in bike accidents, you would be amazed on some of the settlements that they get. i ride hard and have for allot of years. dropped my fair share pushing the limits. now this is irrelevant but, was your pops wearing a helmet? i had my bike transported to tempe one year and i was amazed that no one had proper gear. only thing i have ever replaced are my leathers and helmet, never broke a bone. my first wreck was an 18 y/o girl pulled out in front of me and i hit the driver side fender and flew about 30 feet....

Well my Mom, Sister found a great lawer for my dad. He used to work for the insusrance companys so he knows whats expected.:D Thanks for the suggestions guys:) . My Dad had his surgury last Friday and everthing went well. He's not to happy with life right now. He found out from the doctors that he will be paralazed from the chest down and it looks like only the left arm is the only thing he can move or feel. Hopefully things will get better. Thanks for the responses.:)

I might sell or part off my car due to this. I don't know but looks like I might have to change my life also depends:confused:

sorry to hear about....I know you don't know me, but I will say a prayer for him.

I'd personally get a lawyer. The girl was at fault.