You can type here any text you want

Moving IAT for SD2 question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

Motors going back together now and I'm going to fire it with the current 5.7 chip.

Once I get a few easy miles on it I'm going to switch to an SD2.

My IAT sensor is located down by my air cleaner so I already have enough wire.

My question is what is the best way to mount it to the up pipe? Pics would be great.

Thanks Brett

You can weld a bung to the up pipe or drill/tap lower intake like I did. It does look cleaner in the lower, but you have to be careful with chips. If you want to go the other route, I can weld a bung on the uppipe.

Motors going back together now and I'm going to fire it with the current 5.7 chip.

Once I get a few easy miles on it I'm going to switch to an SD2.

My IAT sensor is located down by my air cleaner so I already have enough wire.

My question is what is the best way to mount it to the up pipe? Pics would be great.

Thanks Brett

Best way is pic below ... but if your using ALKY it should be before the nozzle ..

Attachments

• iat.jpg
    iat.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
The IAT can be after the alky. Eric and Cal have both confirmed this. The IAT on the side of the upper is ugly...sorry 89....lol

The IAT can be after the alky. Eric and Cal have both confirmed this. The IAT on the side of the upper is ugly...sorry 89....lol

Looks have nothing to do with it.. there is a reason its in that place ..... functionality first.. cosmetics second

Just curious why weld a bung? Can't it just be drilled and tapped?

I would think you could drill and tap the upper plenum? Should be enough meat there.

I will probably weld a bung in the up pipe before the alky nozzle. Doubt there is enough material there to drill and tap.

I like the idea of using the IC but one small piece of material could ruin my day.

Just curious why weld a bung? Can't it just be drilled and tapped?

I wouldnt .. if you drill and tap.. more than likely you wil just pull the aluminum right off.. its not very thick and with the casting its porrous and seems to strip easily..
not saying you cant drill and tap.. but alot of times it just strips .... I prefer the welded bung as its bulletproof..

IMO it also looks factory when completed.. rather than an afterthought

Here's how I mounted mine. I drilled a hole (can't remember the exact size but if you google 3/8npt tap, it should give you the drill size) and went to my local hardware store and bought a 3/8npt tap and taped the up pipe directly. Didn't want a welded on bung. And yes, the wire is long enough. BTW I'm still running the stock steel up pipe.

Attachments

• DSC_0265.JPG
    DSC_0265.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
I have had the IAT in nearly every spot on an LC2. This is out of the way and still performs as it should. You can drill/tap the upper without problems. No bung needed. The uppipe will certainly need a bung. The IC can also be drilled/tapped without one.
To keep a nice and clean look, this is what I and many others with Fast systems do. Alky or not.
This still pleases turbo89's function first method while still making your engine bay look a little cleaner. your motor is on the stand, do it now while its easy.

Attachments

• 20140605_095113[1].jpg
    20140605_095113[1].jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 137
You're showing the IAC in the back of the lower manifold correct?

It would be easy for me to locate it anywhere at this point. I will probably stick with the up pipe before the alky. My up pipe is aluminum so I'll weld a bung and powder coat it. I think it will look fine there.

I have had the IAT in nearly every spot on an LC2. This is out of the way and still performs as it should. You can drill/tap the upper without problems. No bung needed. The uppipe will certainly need a bung. The IC can also be drilled/tapped without one.
To keep a nice and clean look, this is what I and many others with Fast systems do. Alky or not.
This still pleases turbo89's function first method while still making your engine bay look a little cleaner. your motor is on the stand, do it now while its easy.

Yupp if you have the intake off you can put it on the back .. Me Likey :) .... not a fan at all of the up-pipe area or the intercooler .. Tons of places it can go.. but functionally intake area is best ..

What tuning differences are there if I put it in the intake?

This reminds me of a "what's the best oil thread"

"Just remember, you'll have to fudge the tune a little leaner now (unless it was too lean already)."
Eric

I know Julio used to have his IAT in the upper after the nozzle back when we raced.

If you want to try one that's already done, I have one for $50 shipped!

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1428848786.899550.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back