NC emissions and gutted catalytic converter.

V6POWER

Anyone passed NC (Orange County) emissions with a gutted catalytic converter? I think I will give it a try this month using my Extender emissions chip. I hate taking off the gutted cc to install a real one. Any suggestions to help pass with the gutted cc?

Oil change right before inspection and add a can of the guranteed to pass emmisions stuff.

Steve

I have been able to do it with stock injectors HC 110. Don't know if your 50# injectors will pass. Luckily we only have one more year to put up with the emissions testing.

I will change plugs, O2 sensor, PCV and oil/filter. Who sells the Guaranteed to Pass additive?

Is 2006 the year that only 1996 and newer cars get emissions check?

Originally posted by Look Quick
I will change plugs, O2 sensor, PCV and oil/filter. Who sells the Guaranteed to Pass additive?

Most any autoparts store. I am pretty sure Napa has it.

S.

I did not pass. :( HC was 360; max. is 220. Now I have to install the 'real' cat. and take off the 'gutted' one. My HC last year was 56 with the real cat. on. I did find the Guaranteed to Pass but did not use it. I dumped two bottles of Heet in the 1/4 tank of gas instead.
I only drove the car 2,100 since last year's emission test and only 1,800 miles the year before that. Sure wish NC had an exemption for low mileage cars. Oh well, starting in 2006 I won't have to worry about emissions for the GN.

If your HC was 360 I will be surprised if a real cat will make enough of a difference to make it pass.

Steve

I installed the ungutted cc and plan on going to emissions again tomorrow, if it is not raining. The car has passed emissions the two years I have lived in NC with no problem using the real cc so hopefully I won't have any problem tomorrow. Wait and see how the HC's come out.

Could the two bottles of Heet caused the high HC's?

I passed. HC=98 ppm versus limit of 220. Besides installing the cc I switched to Turbotweak alcohol chip instead of Extender emissions chip. The emissions chip just did not seem to be running correct when I went through initial emission check.

It idles and runs great. Just have not been to the track to compare it to the Extender. Too darn hot/humid here in NC.

Originally posted by Look Quick
Too darn hot/humid here in NC.

Ain't that the truth. I did a few things to my car today and came in the house each and every time dripping sweat. It wasn't hard work, just so hot out. I plan on washing, polishing, and waxing my car but it's either too hot or getting ready to rain.