You can type here any text you want

need a vacuum conversion kit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

8AV8

Banned
who makes the best vacuum brake kit for an 87TR. My pedal is very hard and then it just goes to the floor. There is so much involved in troubleshooting it seems that if I buy the wrong part I can pay for half the cost of a conversion. I called GM today and an accumulator(I think that's my culprit) is $193.00 . But what if thats not it....... :eek: any advice anyone?please!

I bought my Vac Conv. from RED REGAL T for $150, works great. Try PMing him.

hydroboost instead

I have read and read and read and read on three forums and there seem to be fewer negatives to hydroboost than vacuum. I think for racing that HB will work best. Soon to find out how many lbs it WILL hold... :cool:

Vac pump

something no-one's mentioned. Got a buddy that incorporated a vac. pump from a Caddy Cimmaron (I think). Makes over 16# to run his vac. brakes. I've seen him hold 12+# w/no creep. Paid like $20 used for the pump. Just something to think about.

8AV8 said:
who makes the best vacuum brake kit for an 87TR. My pedal is very hard and then it just goes to the floor. There is so much involved in troubleshooting it seems that if I buy the wrong part I can pay for half the cost of a conversion. I called GM today and an accumulator(I think that's my culprit) is $193.00 . But what if thats not it....... :eek: any advice anyone?please!

I would go to the salvage yard and pull the master cylinder, booster and brake petal assembly with all the bolts and nuts from any 83 thru 87 G body and install it in your Turbo Regal. You will need the billet block for the top of your throttle body from Caspers with the vacuum brake outlet. It is similiar to the one on the Turbo Trans Am.

The vacuum system on the daily driver with the Turbo Regal drive train works great. Thanks Tom for the tip about the vacuum source as a back up if and when I start drag racing this daily driver. BTW going to Wild Bill's Chapter party ?

Symptoms of the accumulator are the brake lights go on when you press the brake, but they seem to work normally. That is until you have a panic stop situation when the slight delay in the pump having to build up pressure for power assist delays things seeming a very long time.

You may have a bad pressure switch, pump going bad or fuse blown. The comment about the brake petal going down slowly after experiencing a hard petal is a little scary. Any puddles of brake fluid on the floor?

Vac conv done

OK ,I didn't go with the hydroboost. I called POWERBRAKEBOB several times and left a PM but no response. $600 vs. $5 for a junkyard pedal and $128 for a NEW mstrcyldr and vac booster...Tom , would you PLEASE ask your friend what year/make/model he got his pump out of. The guys at autozone and Oreilys are no help. I would really like to have an auxillary pump for the track but dont what to look for. Definitely NOT the $269 unit from Summit racing :eek: thanks for the help!

Party!!! Hey Loyd!!!

Worked w/wildbill last weekend, said he hoped the party would go as planned. we hope to be there this year. lost exh. to turbo gasket @ track a few weeks ago and WB kicked my a**. gonna tear down and fix saturday. i'll get him next year if we both still have gainful employment. hope to see you at the meeting/party.

Back