You can type here any text you want

Need alternator/AC bracket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

What do these brackets look like for a '79 Turbo. I am not aware of any after market brackets for thgis engine. Need to put a Sanden A/C compressor on the engine with a mini-alternator.

Any one have brackets I can modify?
Thanks
Dan

What do these brackets look like for a '79 Turbo. I am not aware of any after market brackets for thgis engine. Need to put a Sanden A/C compressor on the engine with a mini-alternator.

Any one have brackets I can modify?
Thanks
Dan

lol...

now you get to feel my pain.

There are no sanden 508 brackets that I know of, and I found using a YORK style sanden adapter has been the easiest to adapt to the buick.

I ended up resorting to the serpentine system from the 86/87 to get the Alt, AC to fit within my location. I got some adapters to connect the factory AC compressor to aftermarket lines and thus an aftermarket ac system.

your fighting with the one issue that makes buicks hard to swap in older cars, there lack of Acc bracketry, and the overall width.

Alternator should be no major feat to jump, but I myself have been waiting for somebody to pull off the tiny block mount that accepts the regular V-belts. I havent had any luck yet.

AC though....... Im not sure what to suggest.... other than you can use the stock compressor with an aftermarket system.

A.j.

I will fabricate a decent A/C mount for the turbo, I am getting the compressor this week-end at the Goodguys Southeastern Nationals. What do I need to do to get to change the system to a serpentine.
Dan

well theres a huge problem with swapping to the serpentine system.

you cannot use a distrbutor.

you will have to swap to a different ignition.

but you need several pieces.
1 the main aluminum bracket
2 the tensioner
3 AC compressor, or elminator
4 alternator
5 rear alternator support bracket
6 front alternator "Y" support bracket.
7 powersteering pump
8 crank pulley
9 water pump pulley
10 the hardware specific to the 86/87 intercooled bracket.

your on par, with my build basicly.

:biggrin:A.j.

I looked into swapping a Sandeen compressor in place of the stock GM one. After sitting around for a few years without lines I didnt think it would work. Low and behold it actually did. But anyways..

There really isnt any room for a sanden compressor with the current setup. Theres 2 basic setups for C/T brackets from what Ive seen. And neither work. The 79/80 setup is the worst I think. There just isnt much room to put anything. Cant put it anywhere really besides where it is, and the sanden is so long it hits the exhaust. I measured, its like 2 inches too long. The only other real way it could be done is to put it on the drivers side above the power steering pump, but thats not really any better.

After looking around, I just ended up ordering some fittings from NAPA and built my lines.

Why are you looking to go to a Sanden? I know its a way better pump but it isnt exactly easy to find a spot to put the thing.

Don't have anything else. Also, just looked at a small Sanden 671(?) compressor and a mini aternator., looks loke I can make them work. More info to follow.
Thanks
Dan

Back