You can type here any text you want

need help finding an ESC

• Thread starter Thread starter Ralibur
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
R

Ralibur

Hello, I'm new to the buick scene and I have a problem. I have
a 1980 3.8 turbo complete engine... except for the ESC, and from what I've read this is something I NEED. I've already searched local junkyards (midwest) and the internet, nothing :confused:. ANY suggestions on one's whereabouts would be appreciated.

Another quick question ;)

Exactly why is it that this type of turbo can't be intercooled? I know it has something to do with the "draw through" setup unlike the later "blow by". But I don't see why colder air wouldn't help for both.

I had the same exact problem. 80 regal turbo with no esc. Last time i called "the buick place" they had some kickin around. try calling them at 1-602-267-0090.

This is what I plan to add to my 79 Sport Coupe. It was originally designed for the guys with the Turbo Corvairs, who have the same problems with knock that we do.

http://www.American-Pi.com/safeguard/safeguard2.html

I looked for a long time to find an active knock control and someone at MSD gave me the number to this company. They can build a unit for any year of Turbo Buick to include the SFI motors. And you can get it adjusted to move it to another car later.

This unit will pull up to 20*timing from each cylinder as an individual in "1" RPM and add it back as quick as 2* per RPM. This means if one cylinder has a hot spot, the others continue to make power and the hot one gets retarded spark only. And the hot one gets the spark back quickly, but in steps.

I like the idea of the O2 sensor and knock monitors in one unit for the dash. This looks like one upgrade us CarbTurbo guys could use all the time. Tuning should be a lot easier with this unit.

And their address is on Chase Street too.

I called "the buick place" and got one step further, but now I need a part number... Don't want to order the wrong one

Hello Ralibar-I have an 80-81 ESC but have not tested it to see if it's any good-anyone know of a bench test when it's out of the car? Also, is the E body(turbo) Riviera ESC the same unit? I see 2-3 of these cars in wrecking yards up here every year. Incidentally, Ihave the ESC disconnected in my sport coupe and am running a normal (non CCC) distributor in it's place-this works fine but I would'nt recommend any serious driving -by the time you hear the detonation it's probably too late! Either that or run GOOD gas...

1970 GS Stage 1
1972 GSX
1972 Riviera GS
1982 Sport Coupe

Back