You can type here any text you want

NEED HELP WITH A TOUGH DECISION

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

griffgoody

Ive been in tha LS1 world for a while. Sold both my vettes. Last one in 2011. Want to get back in tha GN. I've only put about 100 miles on it in tha last 5 years. It's a 1986 which i've owned for tha last 13 yrs (2nd owner). It has 197k on motor (doesn't smoke). Had tha following mods done between tha yrs of i think 03-05(GN had about 150k on it). Reed cam--timing chain--lifters--adj fuel reg--Te60 turbo--terry houston down pipe--3 inch catbacks with flow masters--red or hypertech chip--adj wastegate--scan master--shift kit in trans. I have read and read about these cars on this forum. And it seems like if you make one wrong move with these cars, BOOM. You have to replace a head gasket or motor or trans. DO Y'ALL THINK I HAVE TO MANY MILES ON MOTOR AND TRANS TO START TRYING TO GET TUNED AND RACE. I will be doing more driving then racing. Plus tha car needs a Powermaster Brake Unit which has been hard to find. Been thinking about selling. But I know I would regret if I do. Don't Know where to start. Maybe take my time and rebuild motor and trans. Or just wait until something breaks. SORRY SO LONG GUYS. Tks John

That's so true. Think I need to find my Brake Unit and get a TT chip and maybe an Alky Kit and have fun until that BOOM day. Which I hope never comes.
Do vacuum brakes and with the money you save buy a modern chip and an alky kit

Do vacuum brakes and with the money you save buy a modern chip and an alky kit
Is it hard to convert to vacuum brakes. How much is it to change over. Also, dont know to much about the alky kit. Just know alot of ppl are running this kit. I think you can turn up boost running alky.

Is it hard to convert to vacuum brakes. How much is it to change over. Also, dont know to much about the alky kit. Just know alot of ppl are running this kit. I think you can turn up boost running alky.
A new master cylinder and booster combo run $145-$165 at most auto parts stores. I ordered one for a non-turbo regal for the same year as my car. Also you will have to do an easy mod to your existing brake pedal or find one out of an non-turbo regal. Everything they say about alky is true. I would park my car if I just had to use pump gas alone. I run well over 10lbs of boost over a pump gas tune

Not a difficult swap. The hardest part is removing the old brake pedal & installing one intended for a vacuum assist pedal.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/vaccum-brake-conversion.367260/#post-2925573

It's cheaper to do the vacuum brake swap than it is to repair the trouble prone Powermaster brake system.

~JM~

Tks JM. I know tha PM BRAKE UNITS are around $500-600 new or rebuilt. If you buy an alky kit. Is that something you have to run all the time. Or just use if your gonna race or use high boost.

I'm not up to speed on the Alky systems. I believe most are set up to operate full time & kick in at a certain boost level like 10# & over.

~JM~

A new master cylinder and booster combo run $145-$165 at most auto parts stores. I ordered one for a non-turbo regal for the same year as my car. Also you will have to do an easy mod to your existing brake pedal or find one out of an non-turbo regal. Everything they say about alky is true. I would park my car if I just had to use pump gas alone. I run well over 10lbs of boost over a pump gas tune

Like today. I drove the car aound 16-17 # of boost just on pump 93. but forgot to see if it was giving knock. I need and trying to learn tha numbers on a scanmaster. I was told that my TPS @ 22 was low and needed to be around 44. and that my BL was off at 105 and my IAC was off.

Like today. I drove the car aound 16-17 # of boost just on pump 93. but forgot to see if it was giving knock. I need and trying to learn tha numbers on a scanmaster. I was told that my TPS @ 22 was low and needed to be around 44. and that my BL was off at 105 and my IAC was off.
Also my injectors has a green ring around them. What # are Green Tops.

Wait..... Lemme get this right.

You have a 197k on the motor, you want to go racing, and you're biggest worry is brakes????

I say "go for it!":cool: A boat anchor is cheap, a strong enough chain might cost you just a bit more. ;)

AND I'm just messing with you!

It's obvious you are trying, You'll be OK if you stick around here.

I'm one of those who had my stuff built for me, so I am in absolutely no position to ridicule you. I know a little, but not near enough........

You're doing the right thing by asking the questions.... people here will really try to give the best instruction/information available. You will get many points of veiw.

It's up to you to decide what is worthwhile.

My suggestion, talk to the supporting vendors on this board.

You need to make sure all your pre-sets are correct like the TPS, IAC, etc.

You also need to watch your ScanMaster for KR. The 16-17# range is about where my car starts to show knock. At 16# I run knock free on 92.

~JM~

Back