You can type here any text you want

New Project Build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

phat_tony83

I currently own an '83 Cutlass Supreme Coupe that is ready for a complete overhaul. My father has 2 buick turbo 3.8 engines that need some rebuilding. I have recently read a handful of articles put out by "GM High Tech Performance" on the topic at hand. What I was wondering about is whether all turbo blocks (78-87) are all the same, whether they be full-injected or carbureted. I was also wondering if there is an easy way to make the carbureted version just as quick as the sfi version. If not, how would I go about converting to sfi. how hard would this be? and where could I go to buy parts? Is there some sort of Buick Motorsports company that still makes performance parts for these engines rather than just TA Performance.

Any help is appreciated.

The long blocks are bascially the same, it the bolt-ons that differ from year to year.

If you are looking to match an SFI car's factory stock time, it can be done fairly easily. If you are looking to run 12's, it's more practical to run SFI and follow the proven recipes.

I was informed that the '86-'87 blocks are stronger. Is this fact or fiction? I was also wondering what basic add-ons differed (besides the addition of IC and fuel injection and misc. sensors).

I'm new to turbo engines and want to make sure I do everything possible to make this thing perform and last some time.

The block and head castings improved a little each year, so yes the 86/87 "109" is the best. BUT, unless you are running in the 12 second range, you have absolutely no worry, IMO.

I'm planning on a 12 motor, and I have no concern about using an 1980-84 4.1 block.

Back