You can type here any text you want

new track times & questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GN FAN

hey all!

finally made it to the track to get a baseline before i start adding parts. it's only an eighth mile track but i got a good feel for the car. here's what is done on my car so far...all from previous owner.

red's 93 chip
k&n filter
airbag in driver rear
17 psi
cat-back exhaust no converter
slipping tranny

i ran the car on street tires and pump gas launching at about 3-5 pounds of boost....which obliterated the street tires :p best time was 9.14 @ 78.65mph 60ft of 2.21.....is this a respectable time for the mods above? also my scanmaster showed anywhere from 4-9 degrees of knock retard...where could that be coming from?

here's a list of things i have for the car

60lb motron injectors with street & race chip
MT ET drags and skinnies on Weld draglites
fuel pump with hotwire
good tranny and stock converter
plan on filling car with 112 octane

all else on the car is stock....what do you think i can run in the quarter with these additions...any chance i can break into the 12's on about 21psi?

12' should be pretty easy to do with what you have if you got some traction. The 60# injectors will probably be way too much for the stock turbo. Injectors in the 35# range will be sufficient with the proper line pressure. If you're going to use 112, you need to get a 4 wire O2. The leaded fuel will foul a 1 wire O2. Alcohol injection is a wonderful thing for turbo cars-look into it.
I bet a 3"+ downpipe, stock injectors with an adjustable regulator, 20+-#s boost, Alky and some sticky tires will get you into the 12's

12' should be pretty easy to do with what you have if you got some traction. The 60# injectors will probably be way too much for the stock turbo. Injectors in the 35# range will be sufficient with the proper line pressure. If you're going to use 112, you need to get a 4 wire O2. The leaded fuel will foul a 1 wire O2. Alcohol injection is a wonderful thing for turbo cars-look into it.
I bet a 3"+ downpipe, stock injectors with an adjustable regulator, 20+-#s boost, Alky and some sticky tires will get you into the 12's

While I won't argue if you can go 12's on stock injectors... you can... but 60's will work perfect on a bone stock car.... all you need is an Eric Marshall TT chip. + the 60's give plenty of growing room. IMHO... they are fine for a stock car.... yet have enough growing room that once you get enough go fast parts on the car.....they will supply enough to go 10.50's easy... without pushing them too hard.

IMHO you don't need too much to get these cars into the 12's.... as a matter of fact.... you can probably do it with a good fuel pump... a scan tool... and Razor's alky kit....(with sticky tires of course).

12's are fairly easy....

this past weekend and ran a 12.67, 12.70, 12.90 and a 13.01 with stock turbo and injectors @20 psi on a 90# day. there is no doubt in my mind that you can run in the 12's. practice launching car to see what kind of boost it likes at the track. One local track where I live isnt very forgiving as far as traction goes. To get those times I would launch @8 psi on foot brake with no wheel spin. If i would try to launch the car at anything higher than 9-10 psi the wheels would just spin out of the hole. makes for horrible 60 ft times. I am still learning but practicing on YOUR 60ft times is the key to lowering your 1/4 ET's. GL

indeed i need more practice in this car. of the four passes i made, i managed to shave 1.5 seconds from the first run to the last.

I went with the 60lbers cuz of the street manners they have, plus i don't like buying things twice....i will eventually do more to the car as time passes, at least i know the injectors are up to task.

the only thing i'm not sure about is the knock.....any ideas on where this is coming from or where to start looking? also, on the fuel issue.....will unleaded race fuel be ok with the one wire O2 or should i just get a 3/4 wire one and be done.

indeed i need more practice in this car. of the four passes i made, i managed to shave 1.5 seconds from the first run to the last.

I went with the 60lbers cuz of the street manners they have, plus i don't like buying things twice....i will eventually do more to the car as time passes, at least i know the injectors are up to task.

the only thing i'm not sure about is the knock.....any ideas on where this is coming from or where to start looking? also, on the fuel issue.....will unleaded race fuel be ok with the one wire O2 or should i just get a 3/4 wire one and be done.

Unleaded race fuel won't hurt your O2 at all...... go for it....

First of all u need to get a scan master if you dont already have one.
Second get your tranny fixed before you its toast. give Lonnie Dier's a call @ Extreme Automatics 513-545-3072.
Get a ScanMaster and a Caspers Heated O2..works good with high octane fuels(leaded or unleaded). Its a plug n play piece, very simple install took about 15 minutes. GL

i have a scanmaster already...that's where i saw the knock numbers. i ordered the caspers O2...just not here yet. i'm waiting to send my tranny to Rossler but the turnaround is 4 weeks so i'm going to borrow a friends' for Columbus so mine doesn't blowup when i put the slicks on. i'm guessing some of the knock is maybe the chip and the tranny not being up to par.

i ran the car on street tires and pump gas launching at about 3-5 pounds of boost....which obliterated the street tires best time was 9.14 @ 78.65mph 60ft of 2.21.....is this a respectable time for the mods above? also my scanmaster showed anywhere from 4-9 degrees of knock retard...where could that be coming from?

i dont see how any one can tell you what the car is capable of without a run that the tires dont spin , get the traction sorted out , if you cant launch with out spinning adjust the launch technique so you can

btw what was the 60' , 330' times

the mph looks good for atleast 98 in the 1/4 but that 1/8th mhp you have could have been more because of all the track you wasted spinning , we wont know till you get a clean pass , and that means no spinning and no knocking

and 4-9 degrees if its real knock and not something clanking isnt good , did you check the scanmaser recall to see what the mph was for the peak kr and what the lowest O2 was and at what MPH
in my opinion 17psi on the new concoction they call 93 octane today in the heat through a stock intercooler will have you changing headgaskets if you keep it up

i ran the car on street tires and pump gas launching at about 3-5 pounds of boost....which obliterated the street tires best time was 9.14 @ 78.65mph 60ft of 2.21.....is this a respectable time for the mods above? also my scanmaster showed anywhere from 4-9 degrees of knock retard...where could that be coming from?

i dont see how any one can tell you what the car is capable of without a run that the tires dont spin , get the traction sorted out , if you cant launch with out spinning adjust the launch technique so you can

btw what was the 60' , 330' times

the mph looks good for atleast 98 in the 1/4 but that 1/8th mhp you have could have been more because of all the track you wasted spinning , we wont know till you get a clean pass , and that means no spinning and no knocking

and 4-9 degrees if its real knock and not something clanking isnt good , did you check the scanmaser recall to see what the mph was for the peak kr and what the lowest O2 was and at what MPH
in my opinion 17psi on the new concoction they call 93 octane today in the heat through a stock intercooler will have you changing headgaskets if you keep it up

the last run i made was about 2-3psi with hardly any tire spin and was the quickest run.....
60ft 2.218
330 6.026
660 9.142
mph 78.65

i didn't check the mph but the recall for the O2's was in the 830's everytime.
and btw....the car is set-up from the previous owner, i was trying to get a baseline before i start changing things, at least so i know where i stand. as far as the knock goes, once i replace a few things i'll know if its something clanking or if it's a real problem, hopefully.

the last run i made was about 2-3psi with hardly any tire spin and was the quickest run.....
60ft 2.218
330 6.026
660 9.142
mph 78.65

if it will finish the qtr it may do a 14.3 at 98mph

estimate figuring at avg GN weight you have approx 260hp to the wheels

just as a side note...i checked some of the spark plugs 1, 2, and 3 cylinder to be specific, and they all looked normal with no abnormal signs of detonation or anything else for that matter....i don't know if that means anything or not.

Back