newb questions

bigj480

I'm gonna be buying an engine for a kit car and I'm trying to decide if the turbo buick is the way to go, so I've got a few questions. Is there a "better" year for the turbo engines? Are the blocks aluminum?(weight is important) If I were to spend $10k to buy and modify the engine what kind of streetable HP levels should I expect? Is there a 6spd that will bolt up to them? Any help will be appreciated.

BTW: I'm sorry for the stupid questions.

the 86 and 87 years are more desirable because of the intercooler among other things.The stock blocks are iron.Can't answer the other two questions

Thanx, I notice that there are a couple of after market alum. blocks and one is even supposed to bolt up to any gm transmission. A little expensive though.

Best years for blocks: 3.8's '86-87; 4.1's 84
Block Material: All production are Iron block, Iron heads; Stage II race blocks came in Aluminum but they are very rare and expensive; Aftermarket TA blocks are Aluminum and take both stock and stage peices and have the universal tranny bolt pattern but they are also very pricey
Power Levels: for $10k you can expect 500+ at the crank on pumpgas and more on alky or racegas though the production block durability is suspect about about 600 on a regular basis
Transmission: While never factory you can put a manual behind a 3.8 though I don't personally know of any "kits" for it (Note: the instant torque of the turbo motor and the inability to make booste on the line make it a bad combination and the manual transmission durability is also questionable with the torque levels)

It would be a fun car for sure but there are cheaper ways of making more power with simular weights and if you place a stick very highly on the list you should probably go for an all Aluminum SBC, SBF, or maybe a later 3.8 out of a camaro with some of the goodies they make for the L67/32 supercharged cars and you can put a T5 behind it easily and I'm sure they make a kit to do a 6-speed T56. Welcome to the wonderful world of Hybrids.

Thanx for the great info. I'm really wanting to keep the weight down and I'm not sure what the weight difference is between a alum. 6 cyl. and an 8 cyl, although it's probably not much just as you stated. I might have my expectations set to high but, ideally I would like to find the lightest engine I could get around 800 hp on the street for $15k or less. I'm also lookin' at some foreign engines. I realize that to get that kind of power on the street takes extensive mods and is much easier with bigger engines, so I may be stuck with a v8.:(

BTW: I plan on 2000 lbs and AWD:cool:

You could get there with a TA block or an Off-center stage II block though they are both going to be expensive and good luck finding an Aluminum Stage II. The problem with getting 800hp out of either though is going to be running that much booste is going to run into detonation problems most likely so Alky on the street works for plenty of us though it your in the throttle all the time you'll drink it almost as fast as gas tank wise. What would be really cool is to get an all Aluminum DOHC 5.7L LT-5 Corvette ZR-1 V8 and its matching ZF 6-spped, and put that in there with some good tweaks that make it smog illegal if your chassis will let you get away with old emissions standards, maybe even turbo it. Else wise your pretty suck with with either just another small block or a new Gen III/IV (LS1/6 and LS2/7) which would also be insanely cool but again very pricing and a lot of custom work though your T-56 problems are moot.
As far as your all wheel drive, I don't think your going to do that with a stick unless you're looking at a foreign WRC type setup. Though Troy Trepanier did an AWD '32 Ford (Quadra-Duece) with a Sy/Ty (Syclone/Thypoon) differential and transfer case and a T56 but you know there is major custom work there. Also if you do that you will need a torsion bar or pushrod cantilever style front end to clear the CV shafts for the front wheels. You could also do the horrible early Ford style upper A-arm mounted springs and shocks but that doesn't play well with a low and narrow cowl line, also a McPherson strut style front end could be used but with the same issues since it would have to attach to the upper A-arm.

Just my mad musings.....

How about a twin turbo Supra Engine? The stock short block will take the HP level you desire. They also are available with a manual transmission. Straight six, turbo, lots of perf. parts. I would have done that engine if I didn't already have a GN engine. Good Luck.

P.S. What kind of kit car you building?

Chevy V8 weighs about 100-200 pounds more then the Buick V6(closer to 200 pounds). Also you can always get alum heads for the Buick to drop weight a little. Buick block is cast iron but only weighs in at 130 pounds. dollar for dollar a 87 GN engine is hard to beat. I have a 88 S10 with an 87 GN engine in it, and I'm yet to find a V8(small block) S10 that is as fast.

I thought y'all would take me as someone just talkin' out of his a$$,lol. I was already planning on a pushrod type suspension, maybe even with inboard brakes if its not too difficult. I definitely need to do some studying up on suspension design first. I'm still in the designing phase, so nothing set in stone yet. I definitely want to get it right the first time, because if not It will bother me and i'll end up spending twice as much getting it right. I think with the proper drive train components the AWD won't be a problem. I have been leaning towards the 2jz GTE because as you stated the stock bottom end is so strong, which leaves more money for for a nice turbo upgrade and drive train parts. I'm not sure about the 6 spd. but I think the record for a stock supra bottom end is around 1000hp! I need to estimate the cost of a2jz setup to compare others to. The only thing I don't like about the 2jz is that all the power is in the upper RPMs, might kinda suck from 1k-4k but I don't plan to spend much time there;) I'll have to keep the emissions components until it passes the registration, but after that i'm not worried, I've got a way around emissions. I'm building an original design, constructed using the same techniques as the LA BALA. It's gonna take awhile but I love that kinda work.

I posted on mkiv.com and they told me around 500hp also. I'll check the 3.8 f-bodys but, I don't think they can reach 800hp. I'm open to suggestions.