You can type here any text you want

newbie has a few ?'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MadMike87

buzzin 1/2 dozzen
i just got a EQ radio for my 87 GN it did not originally have one so my quistions are

1. can i just plug it in and go or do i have to do some wiring?

2. i know this one sounds stupid :rolleyes: but i dont want to mess anything up. so how do i get the stock radio out and the EQ in?

3. do i have to do the concert sound speckers to or not for it to work?

thanks for your help

Mike

If the factory replacemant you have is from the same era as the one in your car now, it should have the same mounting bolt pattern and the same wiring harness.

You'll have to remove the factory trim panel before you can access the radios mounting screws. It's been a while since I've dealt with a Gbody, but I believe there are four exposed screws around the perimeter of the trim panel that holds it in place.

yes it is from an 87 gn to its just the upgrade option. the trim pice is held on by clips from behind. i just have to try to get it off with out breaking any of themis there away to get it off with out breaking any of them? does it plug in to the stock harness or do i have to rig something up for it to work? and thanks for being the only on to reply in 24 hours :biggrin:

I'm also about to do a radio swap and can't really figure out how the stock radio comes out. :o

plastic trim ring snaps out, four 7mm screws takes out radio,new radio should work if its from 1988 or older.....if this is the case no other mods needed....if it plugs up, your ok,you cant plug radio up wrong if you tried.... ;)

MadMike87 said:
yes it is from an 87 gn to its just the upgrade option. the trim pice is held on by clips from behind. i just have to try to get it off with out breaking any of themis there away to get it off with out breaking any of them? does it plug in to the stock harness or do i have to rig something up for it to work? and thanks for being the only on to reply in 24 hours :biggrin:

Ok, you jogged my memory a bit. I believe you can get a hold of the trim piece on each side of the radio. Just get some preassure on the sides with your finger and pull it back. Keep away from the thinner piece between the radio and thermostat and you should be fine. If that doesn't work out. Get a butter knife out of the kitchen and bend the tip 90*'s and use it as a hook to work the trim piece out working from the radio opening.

Garyk is correct, the harness can only be put in one way. If memory serves, your radio's harness should actually be three seperate harnesses that butt together and fit in one hole in the back of the radio like puzzle pieces. Each one is of a different shape and size, and can't be installed incorrectly.

I've never messed with the concert sound systems in those cars. Beings it was the 80's, I highly doubt that there would be a seperate harness going to an external amp or something of that nature.
Also, more than likely if there are extra outputs within the terminals of the harness on the new radio, say for the door speaker in the concert sound system; it shouldn't effect the location of the terminals for the regular speakers. In other words, if the top left pin on the harness is for the "left front speaker +" on one radio, it should be the in that location on every factory radio available in that car in that year.

got the orginal radio out

i finally got a chance to get it out i looked at the plugs on the back and they dont mach :confused: . i think the radio is from 1991 so i tryed to color match the wires (the EQ came with a cut harness) but some of the orignal wires dont match up to the new ones :( if anybody can help me please do.

dont cut your plugs off the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to a stereo shop tell them your installing a newer GM stereo in an older GM car and they will hook you up with the adaptor harness you need, also you'll need an antenna adaptor as well, the newer radio has a smaller antenna jack....simple as that ;)

Back