You can type here any text you want

newbie questions and advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

j13smiley

hey guys!

been doing some research and reading around. right now i am looking for a car, i have plans to go look at one on thurs evening. so for now i'm looking for tips or idea of things i should look for or check before buying one of these cars. besides the normal used car stuff, anything specific to these cars that i should be looking for?

thanks in advance for any info!

First, read this page:

http://www.rennie-macintosh.com/general/buyguide.html

It is a copy of the old www.gnttype.org page.

I also recommend finding someone in your area that is familar with these cars and ask them to look at the car with you (let us know where you live). My experience has been that the people who know the most about these cars are the ones that have been under the hood of them for years. Try to get one of these guys to show you the basics. Good luck!

thanks for the links!

problem is i don't really know anyone around here that has one of these cars ;) i'm a firebird guy myself and i got some buddies i trust when it comes to car stuff that i don't know about. just trying to get a list of '89 tta specific stuff i might want to check for before buying...

thanks again for the links - gonna go check them out now.

There are many areas of attention. Try posting where you live and maybe someone close will help you out. Compression and leakdown test is mandatory! Check for lots of oil in the uppipe, see if the scoupe is still on the IC, if you have a lift look for a serial number on the driver's side rear lip of block(paralell to front rim). Also check for tranny tag (should say TAF I believe).Check for badging(9 distinctive badges including white bird in center of taillights and sticker on windshield)

All I can think of now!

Hey smiley I sent you those images. How far into OH do you live. If you live in the north by the Indiana Michigan border maybe I could bring my car by and we could go look at it. I've always wanted to have two side by side anyways.

Post this subject on the general GN thread and you will get a better response from GN folks willing to help you look at the car. Most GN people really like TTA's, and many are knowledgable about them and will help you out. Engine issues of course are mostly the same for both cars.

thanks guys!

i'm located in columbus ohio. heading towards dayton ohio to look at the car.

jared - got your pics! been doing lots of reading and comparing.

hardest part it looks like i'll have to find is the badge that goes on the map pocket by the glove box.

also - the breather filter on the engine, i've read that many guys put those on. not sure why though?

the turbo pipes don't look stock... i wonder if he cracked on once. i figure turbo pipes should be relatively easy to find? i will check for oil in the pipes. but i did read that if the breather filter is on instead of the pipe, there shouldn't be any oil in there.

i've never had and FI car... so all the turbo stuff will be new to me. also - this will be the only car i ever own with an auto tranny in it... guess i gotta pay attention to threads about stall coverters now ;)

As a guess you should still have a little oil int the pipes cause I think it comes from the intercooler that gets it from the turbo. I found a little in all of my pipes which is normal you just don't want like pools of it. Yeah Dayton is a little far for me to drive but I will be there in August for the Trans Am Nationals. Also if you really wanna by the car I went ahead and changed the oil on mine before driving it home so I could see what comes out. It's a Allen wrench for the drain plug. That map pocket thing will be probably pretty close to impossible to find. The turbo piopes I don't believe are stock but those are pretty to find just like aftermarket replacement ones. you just gotta get rid of that ugly white that's on them, it doesn't even match the car. My tta was my first induction car for me and my dad. It's been a completely new experience. The automatic you'll get used to. I have had people say to me they thought it was a manual because it shifts pretty late. Also the shifts aren't real soft like most cars liek when you get on it you can feel it. You'll be happy with the auto in it Hopefully this car turns out to be good.

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you I found a Hard top with cloth interior with only like 44k miles in TX for like 10,500. The car is one of 15. Let me know if you want more info on it.

The turbo piopes I don't believe are stock but those are pretty to find just like aftermarket replacement ones. you just gotta get rid of that ugly white that's on them, it doesn't even match the car.

are the pipes easy or hard to find? ;) i assumed i could at least find some aftermarket pipes fairly easily.

sent you an email about the tx car.

For the map pocket emblem you can always get the TTA pin sold on e-bay frequently or get the aftermarket one from Carmotorsports.com (they might even do the map pocket emblem I think), then cut the mounting pin/stud and use double sided 3M tape to mount it on your map pocket.

Back