Newbie to GN's with a few questions

fordh8tr

Hello all. I am somewhat new to GN's and wanted to learn a few things. I hope this doesn't seem annoying as there might be a lot of people asking the same questions. But, a few things i am wanting to find out are: Does a "109" block simply refer to a casting on a block, basically meaning a stock GN block? What is the difference between 8 bolt and 14 bolt heads? What are stock GN's 8 or 14 bolt?

I have minor knowledge of "Stage" motors. I think that they are Busch Series motors and other factory "race" motors. Are the factory GN motors the "Off-center" motors and the "Stage" motors the "On-center" motors? At what amount of HP is a "Stage" motor recommended or is it more of a novelty to say that i have a "Stage" motor? I know that usually turbo cars have better street manors at higher power levels than built V8's with the same power... so from expirience, what are some of the higher HP levels with GN's that can still be driven daily? I would really like to start with stock or pretty close to stock GN and build a motor for it and have a daily driver that i can take to the track and post at least 11's consistantly.

thanks for any thoughts posted. Any other general knowledge would be great. Other newbie's may find it useful.

Hello all. I am somewhat new to GN's and wanted to learn a few things. I hope this doesn't seem annoying as there might be a lot of people asking the same questions. But, a few things i am wanting to find out are: Does a "109" block simply refer to a casting on a block, basically meaning a stock GN block? What is the difference between 8 bolt and 14 bolt heads? What are stock GN's 8 or 14 bolt?

The 109 block is the stock GN block- 109 refers to the last 3 numbers of the GM part #. Stocks heads are 8 bolt; Stage heads are 14 bolt.

I have minor knowledge of "Stage" motors. I think that they are Busch Series motors and other factory "race" motors. Are the factory GN motors the "Off-center" motors and the "Stage" motors the "On-center" motors? At what amount of HP is a "Stage" motor recommended or is it more of a novelty to say that i have a "Stage" motor? I know that usually turbo cars have better street manors at higher power levels than built V8's with the same power... so from expirience, what are some of the higher HP levels with GN's that can still be driven daily? I would really like to start with stock or pretty close to stock GN and build a motor for it and have a daily driver that i can take to the track and post at least 11's consistantly.

thanks for any thoughts posted. Any other general knowledge would be great. Other newbie's may find it useful.

Start here:

www.gnttype.org

Gest a few beers- there's a ton of info to digest there!

109 is the last 3 digits of the "casting" number

109 blocks are 8 bolt

Factory GN motors are off center

Stage II blocks can be had in either on center or off center

These motors can be made to put out some serious HP numbers and still be perfectly streetable. I've known several people that have them built to well in excess of 800HP, some approaching 900 and still be streetable.
However, that takes some serious $$$$$$$ for those HP numbers.

Most of your questions have been answered....

The 109 Block comes in both turbo and N/A versions... the only difference is the Turbo 109 blocks have a 1/2" NPT fitting screwed into the front of the block up in the lifter valley for the turbo oil drain line. The boss is there on N/A 109's..... all you do is drill and tap to use it on a turbo motor.

As far as 11's consistantly..... There are proven recipes that can be found over at GNTTYPE.ORG. IMHO You need:

1.) Scantool (like scanmaster, directscan, Powerlogger etc.)
2.) Hot wired upgraded fuel pump like the 340 Walbro
3.) 3" downpipe
4.) hooker cat back exhaust with a test pipe inplace of the cat
5.) dutt neck stock intercooler
6.) TE44 turbo or GT6131 turbo
6.) 60# motron injectors with TurboTweak chip for alky
7.) Razor's Alky
8.) K&N air filter

This has the potential for low 11's on pump gas with alky.... and probably high 11's.... bottom 12's...on regular radials.... boost around 25 lbs...timing around 25 deg in 1st and 2nd..... 23 deg in high gear...

This is "a" recipe.... there are many other ways to get there....What I cannot stress enough is to get the stock car running right first... and work your way up with the boltons.... working your way up with more boost until you get where you want..... cause if you just bolt all the stuff on.... cut the boost up to 25 and go to the track.... you will likely have problems....

As you begin the tuning process..... post back here with data from the scantools and let some of the more experienced tuners give some advice...what may look innocent to you may raise a red flag to them....